Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New kits from Worsleyworks

Hi the last time I emailed Allen he told me the same thing, I know he was looking for up to four confirmed orders for the jeeps, I said I wanted two, so it would not be a problem for a couple of others to join in at this stage.

I think they are designs for 21mm gauge, but they could be built for 16.5mm gauge as well.

I got the impression that if we can get just four people to agree to any loco design that he can get hold of, then there is no reason why it should not happen.

There are a number of locos I would love to see get this treatment, but it would still be a case of finding of any castings, wheels, motors, gears etc to finish the loco.

LMS NCC would be the easiest to do since most of the Midland and LMS fittings are already done as castings by other companies.

The GNRi should also be possible as a number of fittings are also available from the above sources as well.

As for GSR loco fittings I am sure something is about, it would just be a case of find out who made what.

As an example I have five Backwood's C&L 4-4-0T kits to make up. As they all come with enough bits to build them as they came from the manufactures. But I don't at present have anything with the kits to show what Inchicore done to them over the years on a couple of them. I need to find GSR style chimneys for them to start with.

My heart and soul is in County Clare, but my body is elsewhere :-(
    You definitely have a third confirmed order here - it's been in his in-tray since 2012! Who else can be convinced to come on board?

UPDATE: I sent Mr Doherty an e-mail this morning to confirm it. He replied simply: "Noted."

As for parts to complete the Jeep:

- driving wheels are shared with the LMS Black 5, so it's Ultrascale or Alan Gibson Workshop (AGW).
    - pony and bogie wheels are LMS/BR standard anyway
    - Axles for 21mm gauge can be had from Ultrascale, or you could cut your own from 1/8" and 2mm steel rod.
    - The Jeep's G8AS boiler is shared with the LMS Fowler 4P 2-6-4T, so some of the latter's fittings could be borrowed in the short term
    - AGW does a fair few Midland/LMS fittings, some of which might pass for NCC

- Motor and drivetrain: down to individual preference. I only use coreless plus reversible drivetrains, so I accumulate old Portescap RG4s or - more recently - the Marklin one.
    Last edited by Horsetan; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:31 AM. Reason: Updates

I am with you when it comes to 21mm gauge, I have a guy who has a small lathe, so I will ask if he can chop some up for me, both in 1/8" and 2mm sizes, I think I will always need some more at some stage so I might get him to do a couple of length's of rod when I get them.

I understand they need to be 28mm in length?

As for some one else coming in that would be fine. Hopefully some one will read this and get in contact.

To be honest you don't need a lathe to do the axles the average length for driving wheel axle is 1 inch varies a bit depending on the boss.I just stick a wheel each side of the back to back measure off with a vernier ,then rod in vice and a quick hacksaw then clean up the ends with a file Hey presto one axle simples.As for pin point axles 1.5mm steel rod cut to 28mm,stick it in a drill,fire it up and with a fine carborundum block form a point the angle isn't that critical.Its worked for the last 15 locos and 60 bits of stock.Andy

My heart and soul is in County Clare, but my body is elsewhere :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin R View Post
    ...As for some one else coming in that would be fine. Hopefully some one will read this and get in contact.
    The more, the merrier.