Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRM Ballast Wagons

IRM Ballast Wagons

Video of IRM Ballast Wagons being transferred to Kingsbridge. Minister of Transport sanctions capital budget for purchase of IRM Ballast Wagons. Loading gauge trials successfully completed after transfer today. These Wagons are supremely produced. Well done team IRM. French farm unions question Kingsbridge management for reasons to circumvent EU tendering process. Kingsbridge management replied "They are simply the best, we wanted the best, so we got the best."

Newly built B121 consisted with B181 to transfer new rake of IRM Ballast wagons

Excellent video.
    121 looks great
    ENNISCORTHYMAN

A class video Noel, well done.

Noel, nice piece of filming,TDR
    Do it yourself brain surgery can be mind numbing

Quote Originally Posted by enniscorthyman View Post
    Excellent video.
    121 looks great
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirley View Post
    A class video Noel, well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Derry Road View Post
    Noel, nice piece of filming,TDR
    Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed. It was a team effort. I had the help of a WMRC member who operated the trains, sound and planned the sequences. I used a DSLR with long lens on a tripod, and an iPhone 6, but ironically the phone took much better video than the DSLR. DSLRs are pretty useless at video because the depth of field is too narrow, aperture is locked once REC is pressed, and AF during video is awful so I had to use MF. Phones are great in low light, AF, but too wide a field of view. Must get a little digicam for future use. Tripod really does help when recording video - doesn't make viewers seasick from camera movement. We only used about 5% of the footage we shot. The main objective was to get one continuous shot of the entire IRM ballast rake passing at platform eye level. A pal who used to be an RTE cameraman, and then went to work on films gave me some great advice years ago about video - avoid panning at all costs, and never zoom during a sequence.

I had hopped to weather the IRM ballast wagons for the video but ran out of time. That's next months project. Anyway we had a fun evening operating trains hauling IRMs truly superb wagons. Two brown plough wagons are now on my future radar.

But the main credit is due to team IRM
    Last edited by Noel; 1 Week Ago at 12:08 PM.

Great video and love the B121!

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    I used a DSLR with long lens on a tripod, and an iPhone 6, but ironically the phone took much better video than the DSLR. DSLRs are pretty useless at video because the depth of field is too narrow, aperture is locked once REC is pressed, and AF during video is awful so I had to use MF. Phones are great in low light, AF, but too wide a field of view. Must get a little digicam for future use. Tripod really does help when recording video - doesn't make viewers seasick from camera movement.
    What DSLR and lens were you using Noel?
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Irishrailwayman View Post
    Great video and love the B121!
    Thanks. Hoping to get it finished this weekend, but the arrival of the IRM wagons caused some degree of distraction and excitement so I'm way behind finishing B121 and B233.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbonnet View Post
    What DSLR and lens were you using Noel?
    Hi Fran, an old Nikon D5200 and a mix of an 18-200mm zoom, 35mm prime, and tried 12-24mm wide angle zoom for close in shots which proved useless. Personally live view on DSLRs just doesn't work for me, I prefer to look through the view finder and lens when videoing. Noel

Great video Noel, very well edited.

Custom made baseboards, helix, storage units and display cabinets. Complete layout service available.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Thanks. Hoping to get it finished this weekend, but the arrival of the IRM wagons caused some degree of distraction and excitement so I'm way behind finishing B121 and B233.

Hi Fran, an old Nikon D5200 and a mix of an 18-200mm zoom, 35mm prime, and tried 12-24mm wide angle zoom for close in shots which proved useless. Personally live view on DSLRs just doesn't work for me, I prefer to look through the view finder and lens when videoing. Noel
    Weird Noel, I use a Canon 80D (with nice mics of course) in the day job and for me, they piddle all over any camera phone. Personally find colour vibrancy much better with DSLR than phones. As excellent as the camera on iphone 6 and equivalent Samsung is, they always seem to be very 'grey' in their video colour to me in comparison.

I'm not dismissing phones at all. Have an iPhone 6 myself and it's very good. They're very handy for video on the fly and I have used them for this, but I do prefer my DSLRs. My basic Nikon D3200 does nice video too, but I do admit I've not done much with it video wise.

Was thinking of buying a second D5200 the other week actually, might swerve it now.

Anyway, very good video overall. Really delighted that you're happy with the wagons and thanks for the custom!
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com