Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jacobs Containers

British Rail Containers on C.I.E.

I have viewed a number of photographs of BR containers of the type discussed on this thread. The text associated stating, the Containers were used for transportation of Motor Vehicle Parts shipped from British Car Manufacturers for assembly in the Republic of Ireland. The reason! During the 1950 and 1960, many of our imported vehicles were shipped as parts - Complete Knock-down (CKD) for re-assembly in Ireland. A number of Motor Trade Businesses in Dublin were importers and distributors of these vehicles, Brittain's , Booth Pool Etc.

For further information click on this link:-
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...orts-1.1293448

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...rfect-1.389523

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...ring-1.1096586

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    One of the many things once carried, now forgotten.

An article on exactly what the railways carried, and from where to where, would be interesting, as goods traffic is very much neglected in model circles.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post

An article on exactly what the railways carried, and from where to where, would be interesting, as goods traffic is very much neglected in model circles.
    That's a sweeping generalisation there, JB, and a bit unfair on the modellers themselves. There are quite a few examples of prototypical goods trains to be seen on Irish model railways. However, as you know, it can often mean a bit of kit-building (I see lots of Leslie's kits in use, for example), kit-bashing, or scratch-building, and not everyone is comfortable or confident enough to try that just yet. From the RTR perspective, of course, we're doing our bit to improve things...

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post

Flour
    Tea
    Milk
    Sugar Beet
    Beet bye-products for Cattle-Feed
    Meat
    Eggs
    Butter
    Bread
    Biscuits
    Chocolate and Chocolate Crumb
    Cigarettes
    Beverages - Guinness - Smithwicks - McArdles etc
    Coal
    Petroleum Products:- Mex - Esso - Shell/BP - Burmah - Lobitos
    Agricultural Machinery
    Cars and Vans and Buses too
    Building Materials - Timber - Brick - Cement - Slate
    Aggregates
    Ore
    Boats and Yachts
    Cement
    Timber
    Fertiliser
    Manure
    Livestock - Cattle - Horses - Sheep - Pigs
    Poultry - Hens - Geese - Turkeys
    Pigeons
    Perishable Produce - Vegetables - Fruit - Soft Fruits
    Flowers
    Cloth
    Wool
    Ordnance
    Military Traffic
    Paper
    Newspapers
    Timber

These are just some of my initial thought on traffic carried by the railways.

Over to you John!

McCabe towbars were to be seen regularly waiting on the platform at Ballybrophy until fairly recently.

http://mccabetowbars.ie/
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

Blog Entries
    To get back to Tony's original post came across a colour photo of a Jacobs container in a photo of Phoenix shunting at Strabane in 1959 in Irish Railways in Colour a Second Glance Midland Publishing 1995.
    . Phoenix is shunting a cut of wagons that includes an open wagon loaded with a Jacobs Container, a CDR or S&LR van and a dropside wagon loaded with what looks like a BR Type A container. Former GNR U Class Lough Melvin has been re-numbered as UTA 65

Attached Images Attached Images  
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Excellent pic.

Top of wagon-load list: cattle!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

This just popped up on one of the Facebook groups, might be of interest

Name:  image.png
Views: 114
Size:  1.13 MB
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Very nice photograph, this is much easier than previous photos I think. Well spotted!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbonnet View Post
    This just popped up on one of the Facebook groups, might be of interest

Possibly the Liverpool factory. The whole set up has a post WW1 trading estate feel to it like Park Royal in London or Trafford Park Manchester. The gantry is similar to the gantry built to service the MGWR track re-laying train in Mullingar during the early 1920s

The van on the left has a Lancashire & Yorkshire look to it.

It looks like Jacobs was a progressive company to see the advantages of containers in the early 1920s or did they go shopping for war surplus equipment like the MGWR?
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.