Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timber Wagons

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blarney View Post
    Well. That's me put firmly back in my box.
    It has also been pointed out by other posters how unlike the Irish prototype the Piko wagons are. If you jump into your box every time someone disagrees with you, then you might find yourself spending too much time in there, and it won't do you any good. It was only a difference of opinion.

Rich,

Quote Originally Posted by Kirley View Post
    Thanks Guys for your comments. David I know the Piko wagon has been used by many to represent the current Timber Wagons.
    Attachment 27918
    It is 57' 6" scale length and has 16 stanchions instead of 10. I suppose you could extend the body and rebuild the top deck but it looks a lot of work but it's worth considering.

Meanwhile I have down loaded the drawing of the 62'9" container wagon from the Freight Section but I'm having difficulty in making out the measurements. When I enlarge the drawing the numbers go blurry.

Can any sharp eyed reader tell me please help me with the following distances:
    Over Buffers
    Over Headstock
    Over Containers (Deck)
    Bogie Centres
    Also where can I get more information on these wagons, my Oliver Doyle book of '87 only refers to Flat bogie Wagons Series 30501 -30540?
    2438mm (32.0mm) deck width
    20360mm over buffers (268.5mm)
    19140mm over headstocks (251.2mm)

There's nothing in either the first or second editions of H&D, and I can't find my ITG book at the minute.

R

14141mm bogie centres (185.6mm)
    Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenderg View Post
    2438mm (32.0mm) deck width
    20360mm over buffers (268.5mm)
    19140mm over headstocks (251.2mm)

There's nothing in either the first or second editions of H&D, and I can't find my ITG book at the minute.

R

14141mm bogie centres (185.6mm)
    The timber wagons were converted from 30501 -30540 bogie container flats during the mid 1990s
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

When the Sligo timber flow ceased in 2008 8(?) timber wagons had their stanchions removed & have since returned to PW use. There was a trial carried out on a 42ft flat some years back with timber stanchions attached having been removed from the 4 wheel flats which went for scrap, but AFAIK it never entered service, or even trials. The stanchions have since been removed & the wagon is back working liner trains.

Thanks Richie for the measurements and to John & Vlak for the information.