Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inchicore Class J10 Conversion From LNER J72

Inchicore Class J10 Conversion From LNER J72

Hi

With the need for a small steam loco to run on Closetmodeller's Greystones Layout to pull a RPSI or IRRS type excursion train, we looked for an easy and inexpensive conversion. I had previously earmarked the Jinty 0-6-0 as a relative easy conversion to an Irish type tank loco- the Inchicore Class J10 or a J11. At the Wexford Show a Mainline Jinty was offered for €10.00, so CM splashed out and our 0-6-0 Tank Loco was secured and travelled off to the workshops.

Name:  J10C-01 IMAG2902.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  J10C-02 IMAG2904.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  J10C-03 IMAG2901.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  60.9 KB

This will be its story.....

The J10 is easier to do as its cab needs very little work, the main work is in-around the front splashers and snadboxes, most of the other bits are pretty close. So with that and some other minor fettling- handrails, coal bunker, valance & front steps, valves, and roof top whistles, its going to be a J10

The tanks are little a bit short, but not sure yet if I'll go at that!

The plan is worked out, this I did by scanning the loco side and setting up a drawing to have a pattern to work to for sizing the bits and working out what gets in the way!

Name:  J10C-05 DWG-00.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  42.2 KB

According to Mr Clements 5 of these were built for shunting around North Wall Goods Yard, a photo exists of 617 (Pioneer) taken in 1938 at Broadstone, so 617 it will be......

Name:  J10C-04 IMAG2903.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  59.6 KB

Eoin
    Last edited by murrayec; 02-05-2017 at 12:22 AM.
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    When repainting, Eoin, for max effect I would paint the connecting rods and wheel rims great as well as the body.

The numberplates look excellent. All over grey like the body, but rims and numerals picked out in light yellow / cream.....
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Hi jhb

Thanks

Yes grey it will be, including rims n rods...

The photo shows bright colour to the number plate! was this polished brass with black background?

Eoin

Edit; I see you said light yellow, oops
    Last edited by murrayec; 02-05-2017 at 12:13 AM.
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart

Blog Entries
    The Mainline J72 was the nearest thing to an "Official" RTR conversion for the small Midland E Class 0-6-0 tanks or CIE J26 Class. The late Alec Phillips a very talented modeller pioneered the conversion of the J72 into an E Class after struggling to get the early TMD E Class to run. Alec built excellent scratch built models of a DART & a cement bubble in OO & B121 & B141 Class in O Gauge.

The J10s or MGWR P Class were built for heavy shunting at the North Wall & banking trains to Liffey Junction , basically a tank version of the Midland Standard Goods.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug....AM/i-SpNfFs2/A

The J11 was a GSWR design and tank engine version of the J15 or 101 Class did similar work on the GSWR system and around Cork.

The J11s had slightly rounded edges to the tank tops and an archaic looking cab roof seemingly folded from one piece of iron, nice modelling challenge.
    https://transportsofdelight.smugmug....AM/i-9dJN5bV/A
    Last edited by Mayner; 02-05-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayner View Post
    The late Alec Phillips a very talented modeller.........built excellent scratch built models of a...........B121 & B141 Class in O Gauge]
    Now THAT would be a sight to behold!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Eoin, are you aware, New Irish Lines gave away, with their magazine, drawings from the GSR Register. Both J10, J11 and J26 (mentioned by John)are included? The wheel base on a J10 is shown as 14' 11" and I think the Jinty's wheel base is 16' so close enough.

It depends on what you class as a Jinty. The name Jinty normally refers to the LMS Fowler 3F, which has a wheelbase of 16ft 6ins. The loco in this post, referred to as a Jinty, is in fact an LNER J72, which has a wheelbase of 13ft 8in.

The Bachmann 3F Jinty wheelbase is 66mm, which is an exact scale 16ft 6ins. I have no idea whether the Mainline J72 wheelbase is correct to scale or not, as I do not have one to measure.

Eoin, yes, normally a light yellow creamy colour but according to jhb171achill Senior, who spent many Saturdays bumbling about Inchicore in the 1930s, the odd one did have polished numerals and rims, like 186 currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhu Varren View Post
    It depends on what you class as a Jinty. The name Jinty normally refers to the LMS Fowler 3F, which has a wheelbase of 16ft 6ins. The loco in this post, referred to as a Jinty, is in fact an LNER J72, which has a wheelbase of 13ft 8in.

The Bachmann 3F Jinty wheelbase is 66mm, which is an exact scale 16ft 6ins. I have no idea whether the Mainline J72 wheelbase is correct to scale or not, as I do not have one to measure.
    I think John was referring to another Class of locomotive not the J10 or J11, "The Mainline J72 was the nearest thing to an "Official" RTR conversion for the small Midland E Class 0-6-0 tanks or CIE J26 Class."

I have two Hornby 3F's a new and an old model, both have a 16' wheelbase unless I'm not measuring it correctly, is it from wheel centre to wheel centre?

Sorry Eoin for going off your subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirley View Post
    I think John was referring to another Class of locomotive not the J10 or J11, "The Mainline J72 was the nearest thing to an "Official" RTR conversion for the small Midland E Class 0-6-0 tanks or CIE J26 Class."

I have two Hornby 3F's a new and an old model, both have a 16' wheelbase unless I'm not measuring it correctly, is it from wheel centre to wheel centre?

Sorry Eoin for going off your subject.
    I'm pretty sure the Hornby jinty features a generic 0-6-0 chassis which also went under their old 08 and pannier tank. The Bachmann model of the jinty would have a more accurate wheelbase.
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com