Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Inchicore Class J10 Conversion From LNER J72

Hi jhb

Yes, I picked up a dark gery for this project- Humbrol Matt 67, look it up and let me know what you think. It looked dark in the shop but in the workshop it looks like it may need a bit of black added!

Eoin
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart

Hi jhb

Yes, I picked up a dark gery for this project- Humbrol Matt 67, look it up and let me know what you think. It looked dark in the shop but in the workshop it looks like it may need a bit of black added!

Eoin

Edit;- Something went a bit funny with the computer and doubled up!!

Quote Originally Posted by murrayec View Post
    Hi jhb

Eoin
    Edit;- Something went a bit funny with the computer and doubled up!!
    Eoin, as long as it's the computer you needn't worry, interested to see this work on this model, looking good,
    Paul

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Mine did that the other day...... I posted something twice......!

The shade shown is black in the pic, though the light can play tricks! Would you have another pic? Excellent work so far....
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Hi jhb

The body shell above is still in LNER black livery- not painted yet, I'm waiting until all fixups and bits are on before painting....

Here is a snippet of the Humbrol Reference Chart and a photo of the tinlet, its the middle one, the other two are for comparison- light grey and black

Name:  J10C-16 Humbrol Mat 67-00.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  65.3 KB

What do you reckon?

Eoin

Bashed some metal this evening....

Split chassis was taken apart to remove the gears, seal up the motor with masking tape and put some packing into the split so that the machine vice would not crush the plastic insulators.
    Name:  J10C-17 IMAG3042.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  102.9 KB

First I machined out the recess for the Kadee box on the under of the chassis, this was very close to one of the screws so I went into it, through the brass contact and insulator until I could see the threads of the screw and stopped there! It worked, just enough clearance to get the Kadee at the right height.
    Name:  J10C-18 IMAG3044.jpg
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  J10C-19 IMAG3045.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  83.0 KB

Next was machining out the space for the DCC chip in the top of the chassis, took off 3.5mm.

Now you see it
    Name:  J10C-20 IMAG3047.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  106.6 KB

Now you don't
    Name:  J10C-21IMAG3049.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  118.5 KB

The Kadee box is fixed to the chassis keeper plate with a counter-sunk screw, just made it! had to sand the box a bit to adjust the level.
    Name:  J10C-22IMAG3050.jpg
Size:  92.3 KB

and loads of space for chip n wires
    Name:  J10C-23 IMAG3052.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  93.6 KB

Eoin
    Last edited by murrayec; 23-05-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Well done Eoin. Super job for on split chassis, and very neat. They are a nightmare to DCC, and have to be run-in again after reassembly. Your tools to machine the metal chassis is a great help. I gave up on split chassis conversions after doing two of them some years ago, but I wasn't as neat as you have been here. On my poor effort, isolating the motor connections from the chassis sides was a real pain, and tapping each side of the chassis for pickups was equally awkward.

What method did you use to connect the decoder to the chassis sides?

Thanks Noel

Yes split chassis require a bit more work,

The decoder will be connected to two little brass screws that will be tapped into that shiny cut I just made on the top- the wires can be soldered to the screws far easier than to the die-cast metal

Eoin

A bit of body work done today

Splashers, sandboxes, coal bunker infill, valance & steps, made in styrene, all just propped in position for the photos. I think the valances will have to go on last and have a bit of brass reinforcing behind the steps!

You cant see it in these shots with the glare of the white styrene but the sandboxes have a nice little filler cap on top...

Name:  J10C-24 IMAG3061.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  J10C-25 IMAG3063.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  J10C-26 IMAG3064.jpg
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  J10C-26 IMAG3069.jpg
Size:  103.3 KB