Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NCC Jinty

NCC Jinty

Hi,

Did the NCC Jinty's ever run south of the Border. I see that Dapol are producing a model in O gauge but no mention of the NCC livery?

Kevin.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    No.

Their only function was round Belfast docks. As far as I am aware, neither of the pair ever even pulled a train on the NCC!

The NCC livery was black with single maroon lining and shaded lettering "N C C" on the tank sides, as was the norm then.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    No.

Their only function was round Belfast docks. As far as I am aware, neither of the pair ever even pulled a train on the NCC!

The NCC livery was black with single maroon lining and shaded lettering "N C C" on the tank sides, as was the norm then.
    Rails around Belfast - Andrew Crockhart and Jack Patience.

Page 37 "Two LMS Jintys numbered on the NCC. 18 and 19, were regauged and transferred from England in 1944 to help ease the shortage of motive power at the time. First rostered on local passenger services, this must not have been a success as their vacuum gear was later removed. They were usually found shunting round the docks and at York Road"

Further text describing the photograph and location of No 19 viewed shunting a UTA coach adjacent to Jennymount Linen Mill.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    One lasted until about 1963. I think the other was long gone by then.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    One lasted until about 1963. I think the other was long gone by then.
    Yes, I remember seeing No.19 around from time to time during my evening visits to York Road with John (now Lord) Laird). I first went down in 1961 or 1962, but never saw No.18. Indeed by then only two Castle Class U2 4-4-0s were around - Dunluce and Dunseverick.

Just to bore you with facts, they had been 7456 and 7553 on the LMS, becoming 18 and 19 respectively. Latterly, they bore a UTA "Red Hand" Coat of Arms.

Leslie

Given lottery wins of some magnitude, if a preserved one in Britain was going begging, it could be brought here and regauged - perfect for the DCDR!

But then, the GNR tank loco in Cultra, or No. 30, would be better........

Hi

In model world, a Jinty is perfect for conversion to a Inchicore Class J10 or J11, the J10 is slightly easier as it does not have a curve to the front of roof. I'm currently doing a Gauge OO conversion for the Greystones layout, this will also be done for my Gauge N layout.....

Eoin
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart

Under your expert hand, that would be an absolute delight to see, Eoin.

Hi jhb

I will post up a few photos in a 'Jinty Conversion to J10' thread very soon, the plan has been struck but not implemented yet...

Eoin
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart

I was just thinking - with the curvature on some of the dock lines, it's a wonder that anything six-coupled got around there at all!