Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electra graphics arrived for n gauge

electra graphics arrived for n gauge

My vinyls arrived from Electra Graphics. I have three coaches at the moment. The question is what combination of vinyls should I use for the coaches? Suggestions welcome.

Name:  IMAG0740.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  31.6 KB
    Name:  IMAG0739.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  39.6 KB

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    So you just stick them onto BR type carriage sides? Ingenious.

Doubtless scope for other inexpensive conversions - a BR Van, for example.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Yep. I have GraFar Mk3 coaches. I strip the graphic off the side and apply the Irish graphic. I have a body on the way from Shapeways for the loco. Happy days.

I'll upload pics when it's done.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Superb stuff. It's about time N gauge got a look into the Irish scene. Many of us have limited room. I live in a town house and I am currently considering whether to have a fairly interesting 009 gauge set up, or a much restricted 00 gauge one. Right now, 00 is winning; shortly I will commence the most difficult part of anything top do with a layout: applying to the Dept. of Domestic matters for funding and planning permission. The most difficult brass kit is child's play in comparison....

At "N" scale, an approximate loco of British 0.6.0 parentage painted plain grey and given a number of a J15 or J18 would be a lot more forgiveable than in 00. The one thing that might sway me in that direction would be an "N" gauge 141, A or C body, plus a suitable chassis to put it on. Like steam locos, SOME British coaches might suit for botching or repainting - the accuracy wouldn't be 100% but with care it might look right.

Any ideas on earlier Irish diesels in N scale?
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Electra have been around years (and have done Irish stuff for years as well).

Jonathan - a quick search (once you know where to find it!) reveals these bodies. Not sure on the chassis, but something like a 31 could do for a A Class

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3F...ptionId=544872
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/GN...ptionId=392047
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/95...ionId=57770903
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/JJ...ptionId=384093
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/D4...ptionId=407067

Many thanks, hurricane!

Hi Peter

The Electrographic sides will look well. Some are easier to apply than others. You may already know that as well as taking the old paint off any raised parts such as hinges and door handles are filed smooth.

MikeO

Thanks Mike. I attempted removing the paint with acetone free polish remover and isopropyl alcohol. Didn't go according to plan. The paint mostly came off, but some was left smudged and a sticky residue remains.

I'll try again tomorrow with a different remover, and failing that, Brasso.

I tried using acetone based nail polish remover earlier. Didn't work. It's on to Brasso now.

If anyone else has experience stripping the paint off coaches I'd love to know what you used.

P.

Hi Peter

Mr Muscle Oven works brilliantly, pop the coach body in a plastic bag, spray it with a good coat of MMO and leave it sit for about an hour, take it out and wash it down with a toothbrush. It may need a second go to remove paint in lines and arises. Give it a good clean afterwards- best to use dilute washing soda and rinse in loads of water...

Stay away from acetone! it will do awful damage to soft plastics- you say you got a goo on it? I'd say that's melted plastic

IPA needs a good soaking for about 6 to 12 hours and there is a slight risk of damage to soft plastics again

Only use Brasso for polishing your candlesticks!

Eoin
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart