Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ballyglunin railway station

Quote Originally Posted by Colin R View Post
    You say that, but the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway are in the process of building five brand new steam locos and there are as well a number of new build main line certificated steam locos being undertaken in the UK today.
    I realise there's a number of new builds up and running or in planning stages in the uk.
    I was referring to the situ here.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    As one involved with EU and other grant applications over the last thirty years, I might point out a few conditions that are standard now;

1. 100% funding or anything near it is almost never considered, especially for large amounts. Thus, substantial financial input from the promoter is necessary. This being the case, in an Irish context it can mean members coughing up till they bleed!

2. Before ANY railway preservation scheme is considered, financial sustainability must be proven. For British preserved lines it's a given - one good gala weekend there will bring in the equivalent of the DCDR's entire annual income, Santas included.

3. Very often match funding is a requirement - typically of about 30-50%.

Thus, typically but not always, if you have a small project of say £200k, here's what might happen.

EU provides £120 - provided.....
    Applicant provides at least £55k
    Some other sponsor e.g. a tourist board or local authority - provides £25k.

Local authorities in the 32 counties have had an absolutely abysmal record in funding anything transport related - throughout all time. With funding cuts across the board, and six of those counties cutting themselves out if EU funding, this doesn't look like changing soon!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

We at the MRSI attended a fund raising day last year in Ballyglunin
    It was a wet and miserable day and the numbers attending were not great but those that did attend were very passionate about the restoration project
    To that effect we took a lot of pics and measurements and hope to build a model of this historical station to be presented to the committee when finished
    Scale it yet to be decided but it will most likely be a static display in 00 or N

Hi Wrenneire

Did you take any details of the signal cabin and good shed as well? And would there be any chance of sharing you pictures and measurements, You are correct about it making a brilliant model.

I have been thinking about this as a 4mm 21mm gauge exhibition layout since I found this forum.

Colin

I will get back to you Colin, there are a couple of people involved and its a matter of collating all the info we have

Thanks you Wrenneire that is much appreciated.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Colin, there are a few pics of the place in operation in "Rails Through the West", and my co-author on that has loads more. If you PM me with specific requirements for views I'll see what I can do.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Herewith details of trains serving Ballyglunin in 1949 and 1960, just after the western route was comprehensively dieselised.

In the WTT dated 4th July 1949, Limerick - Sligo (northbound) trains are as follows, as they pass through Ballyglunin:

12.09 am Athenry - Tuam mail (probably a loco and a mail van; only stopped for one minute)

10.00 am Limerick - Sligo goods (departed 03.30am, arrives Sligo 21.50 that evening! 15 min stop

9.35 am to 09.48 - Limerick - Tuam goods

2.53 pm The first of only two passenger trains in the day, and the only one right through Limerick - Sligo! This one is the 11.45 Limerick - Sligo, seven hours of six wheeled luxury!

8.49 pm Athenry - Tuam local passenger; connection from Galway line.

Southbound, this was the picture, starting off with an interesting one:

8.40 am Described as "double headed", this started out as the 8.20am mixed from Tuam, and spent four minutes at Ballyglunin. At Athenry the carriage was detached or locked up, as it continued to Limerick as a goods, arriving at 7.10pm, having had lengthy lay-bys at Athenry (1 hr 25), Gort (1 hr 48) and Ennis (2 hr 6m). At these places, other trains were crossed.

11.09 am Sligo - Limerick passenger (dep Sligo 7.30am, arr Limerick 2.35pm)

2.54 pm Tuam - Athenry mail. The reverse of the 12.09 arrival above.

7.29 pm the 8.15am goods ex-Sligo, which arrived in Limerick at 1am the following morning.

Now let's fast forward to 1960. By this stage "C" class locos are designated for ALL traffic except the single through passenger train in each direction, which is an AEC set. With the abysmal reliability record of the Crossley engines, it may be assumed that an occasional steam engine or perhaps B101 might put in an appearance from time to time.

Northbound:

9.45 am The 03.40am Limerick - Sligo goods (arr Sligo 8.05pm) called on request only

12.38 pm Athenry - Tuam passenger / mail

5.41 pm The 3.15pm Limerick - Sligo passenger. Arrival was at 8.35pm. Five hours and twenty minutes was a great improvement on the seven hour ordeal of 11 years earlier - all stops were served!

6.28 pm The 8.50am Limerick - Claremorris goods had only made it this far by this time, with several long layovers. It would not hit Claremorris until 8.14pm.

7.18 pm Athenry - Tuam passenger. Incidentally, these short workings were powered by a "C" from Galway shed, running light between Athenry and Galway and vice versa.

Southbound:

4.31 am 5.45am Sligo - Limerick goods

7.55 am Tuam - Athenry passenger

8.29 am Claremorris - Limerick goods passes through but doesn't stop.

11.39 am 8.50am Sligo - Limerick passenger

3.30 pm Tuam - Athenry passenger & mail; obviously the return of the one which called at 12.38 in the other direction.

An interesting thing is that there was also, along the WLWR line, a Limerick - Galway and back passenger service. This left Galway at 9 am, and reversed at Athenry, with Limerick arrival at 11.40. Returning at 12.45pm, it arrived back in Galway at 3.55pm. If we look at today's tram from Galway to Limerick and back, it has six intermediate stops. Back in 1960, it had 12 definites plus a request stop; just compare today's timings! Not much quicker!

No Sunday services of any sort were provided in either of the years shown.

Stations open along the whole route in these times were:

LIMERICK

Longpavement

Cratloe

Sixmilebridge

Ballycar

Ardsollus

Clarecastle

ENNIS

Crusheen

Tubber

Gort

Ardrahan

Craughwell

ATHENRY

Ballyglunin ***

Tuam

Castlegrove

Milltown

Ballindine

CLAREMORRIS

Kiltimagh

Swinford

Charlestown

Curry

Tubbercurry

Carrowmore

Leyney (Coolaney)

Collooney (WLWR)
    Ballysodare

SLIGO

I hope that this is of interest.

Wow what can I say that is just the sort of thing I like great thanks Jon

Colin

Another big supporter of Ballyglunin Railway Station, non other than Gabriel Byrne,
    BTB

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture...source=Mailjet