Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ballyglunin railway station

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    800 is too heavy, so you'll also have to win the Euro millions lottery to pay for the upgrading of the track work on the Belfast-Dublin route
    She weighs less than a 201, although her axle loading is a bit higher. It's the platform edges and bridges you'd have to keep an eye on (not to mention the hammer blow from the cylinders)...

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    She weighs less than a 201. It's the platform edges and bridges you'd have to keep an eye on (not to mention the hammer blow from the cylinders)...
    Ah Right so. I thought I read somewhere the axle loading might be too high for main line use, and wheel spin could buckle some modern track. I presume none of the functioning turn tables could accommodate 800 anyway.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    800 is too heavy, so you'll also have to win the Euro millions lottery to pay for the upgrading of the track work on the Belfast-Dublin route
    No probs. I'll take it to the DCDR. Replacing the track there will be cheaper.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

I think the one thing that the guys at the Ballyglunin Railway Station project are missing is a serious Business plan or at lease a properly costed project. I would over estimate it to the tune of £5 million pounds or 5.6 Million Euros.

This figure would include the complete restoration of the station, signal cabin and good shed and both platforms. Plus the building of a replica steam loco* and four carriages as per the film.

In the film there is a footbridge, but I have not include the cost of building a replica footbridge, I believe the original one has been moved to another station, so getting that back is possibly not an option at present. I have also not included the cost for the installation of a train shed to keep the loco and train undercover when the place is not open or the purchase of an industrial Diesel loco to move the train from the shed to the platform.

While the line in not operational by IR at present. it would be a good idea to also consider the re-installation of the station track plan again should the need arise and the route is rebuild once again.

* it would be possible to build a cheaper loco if you did not want to steam it, but only have a dummy. My personal feeling is that if you are going to all this trouble to build a replica, you might as well build one to work.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Building a new operational loco would be ideal, but would cost upwards of €500k, and then a whole business of health & safety & operational tests and standards. Carriages would then be needed.....

Certainly do-able, but the station itself would be a better focus.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    Quite a contrast to tiny volunteer groups in remote parts of the United States like the Galloping Goose Histroical Society in Dolores Colorado who are prepared to fund their own restoration without the expectation of Government funding.

http://www.gallopinggoose5.org/what-we-do/
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    The reality is, people across this island have very little interest in industrial heritage compared to other places.
    Or built heritage in general, 100's of towns and villages up and down the country have historic great houses, castles etc. etc. simply crumbling away and falling down.
    Clearly everything can't be preserved, but people here are far more interested in other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayner View Post
    Quite a contrast to tiny volunteer groups in remote parts of the United States like the Galloping Goose Histroical Society in Dolores Colorado who are prepared to fund their own restoration without the expectation of Government funding.

http://www.gallopinggoose5.org/what-we-do/
    because they know they'd get no government funding - US govt too busy pumping it into the military

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    Building a new operational loco would be ideal, but would cost upwards of €500k, and then a whole business of health & safety & operational tests and standards. Carriages would then be needed.....

Certainly do-able, but the station itself would be a better focus.
    A replica loco etc. would be pie-in-the-sky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by minister_for_hardship View Post
    A replica loco etc. would be pie-in-the-sky stuff.
    You say that, but the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway are in the process of building five brand new steam locos and there are as well a number of new build main line certificated steam locos being undertaken in the UK today.

I understand that you have to be realistic about such projects and somethings like this wouldn't go ahead without so much of the funding being in place to start with.

It is no good expecting the average railway enthusiast to stump up the money for such a project, as it will never happen. What is more likely is if those behind the project are willing to look at sponsorship from a number of sources. Ireland being in the EU, would I think still be entitled to apply for cultural and tourist based grants. This process is not that easy or quick, but it is possible.

It would also be tying down all the possible reasons why the project should succeed, such as increase in tourism, the creation of jobs for the project and surrounding local businesses, in the UK a base figure of of every one job created by the project, it creates two more in the local tourist community (always a good one with politicians), interpretation of the local culture, sustainability of the project (would rebuilding the railway station to a standard that trains could run for there again benefit the local community?) what long term assistance could IR give to the project?

This is not an endless list of things to consider, but as they say, it always helps to think outside of the box (whatever that means).

Of course we also have to remember that not all grant applications are successful, but by thinking about all those issues and more, it will give you a better chance of success in the long term.