Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Kingsbridge - paint shop

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    I choose acrylics for spraying because they are water based and therefore more user friendly inside the house. I also perceived them as less harmful to health (i.e. vapours).Noel
    Hi Noel, just to clarify on the hazards of acrylics;-

They are not water based, they are water compatible- they contain some water but they contain pretty nasty stuff to be spraying in the air that you n others breath;- ethyl acrylate, isopropanol and glycol ethers, the first being very very harmful to humans. It has been known and most acrylic labels carry warnings about getting it on your skin, in eyes- the worst, or ingesting, causing burns, chronic eye problems and serious illness. Also its highly flammable in gas form, which is what we do with spray guns- make gas!

Safety is a must spraying this stuff, the fact you mix it down with water helps but your still spraying diluted nasty stuff into the air. Spray booth, masks, open windows n closed doors, and no heating elements is the best approach....

Eoin
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart

Quote Originally Posted by murrayec View Post
    Safety is a must spraying this stuff, the fact you mix it down with water helps but your still spraying diluted nasty stuff into the air. Spray booth, masks, open windows n closed doors, and no heating elements is the best approach....
    Thanks Eoin. Good advise. Had been using a mask and ventilation, but have since acquired a spray booth with an extractor fan with hose to the outside. I haven't used rattle can aerosols such as Halfords grey primer or Humbrol acrylic varnishes indoors, instead in well ventilated shed or outdoors. Noel

Quote Originally Posted by murrayec View Post
    Hi Noel, just to clarify on the hazards of acrylics;-

They are not water based, they are water compatible- they contain some water but they contain pretty nasty stuff to be spraying in the air that you n others breath;- ethyl acrylate, isopropanol and glycol ethers, the first being very very harmful to humans. It has been known and most acrylic labels carry warnings about getting it on your skin, in eyes- the worst, or ingesting, causing burns, chronic eye problems and serious illness. Also its highly flammable in gas form, which is what we do with spray guns- make gas!

Eoin
    Hi Eoin & thanks for the info, now dos that reading between the lines mean the Enamel paint is safer !! or equal to acrylic TIA
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by burnthebox View Post
    Hi Eoin & thanks for the info, now dos that reading between the lines mean the Enamel paint is safer !! or equal to acrylic TIA
    Paul
    Hi Paul

I found this FAQs document by Vallejo very helpful including the Health & Safety info in section 15. I presume Tamiya and Humbrol acrylics are similar as they are used by 'Hobby' users. I guess nothing is 100% safe, but reading between the lines I just felt acrylics were safer than enamels for spraying indoors, and far less smelly due to the lack of solvents.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_U...-paints/faqs/3

For painting stock I started using Tamiya and very happy with it (i.e. CIE B&T coaches), but have since moved to Vallejo 'Model Air' range (pre-thinned for airbrush) and occasionally Vallejo 'Model Color' (paint brush use, or can be airbrushed if thinned). I still use rail match for airbrush weathering. Halfords primer and the Humbrol varnishes smell pretty noxious so I use them outdoors or in well ventilated shed.
    Cheers
    Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Vallejo
    5.12. Model Air is manufactured especially for airbrushing. Do I need to wear a mask when I use the product?
    Model Air contains no harmful pigments, but wearing a mask when airbrushing is always a good idea. Anything foreign in the air we breathe, be it dust or pollen, is best not inhaled, and pigment particles, even if not toxic, are still foreign matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vallejo
    15.1 All our colors are water-based, they do not contain toxic solvents. All our colors have obtained the ASTM D-4236 (USA) and the EN-71 (Europe) certifications, and all our raw materials comply with the REACH requirements.