Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingsbridge - paint shop

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    So, exceptions.....

At least two, and possibly three, (fitted) "H" vans were standard carriage green with black chassis, for use as mail vans on Tralee-Mallow trains.
    Jeepers, any photos of these anywhere?
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

now thats a crisp finish!!

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiveController View Post
    Jeepers, any photos of these anywhere?

A forthcoming book will show two (albeit very much in the background) sitting in Mallow on the down side.

I've seen a better pic elsewhere, will delve. I'd imagine it was a short-lived arrangement.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Finished lightly weathering 25 wagons. On next batch will try some alternate methods like washes and powders. This is addictive.

Wagons after visit to varnishing shop - Humbrol Acrylic matt spray can varnish

Wagons back on the layout

CIE Decals from Weshty

Video of rake of recently weathered wagons. Some sound editing to add to the DCC sound coming from the loco.

I just love the diversity of loose coupled goods trains of that era.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Looking good - great weathering job.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

It really does make a difference.

Looking good - great weathering job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirley View Post
    It really does make a difference.
    Cheers JB + Kieran. Well learning. The main thing is it has opened up another aspect of the hobby for me which I am enjoying. Looking forward to weathering the IRM ballasts later this month when my order is delivered. I added some background rail noises to the video which was interesting. I'm thinking of making up an app to play selected background sound mixes in a loop.

Next project is this. Now what livery to go for? I am torn between Black'n'Tan 1960s, but really like the black livery with the yellow front panel, and then there is the flying snail green livery which would be great for hauling some of my green flying snail coaches. Decisions decisions. First one was to file away the head light boxes.

Does anybody have any colour photos of those liveries, very few on the internet?

Noel, the various colour albums should show enough of them to get an idea.

Basically, for A and C classes:

1. New - to early 1960s at latest: All over silver, bogies & roof included when new. Since this weathered worse than any livery in history, before or since, heavy weathering is obligatory to look realistic! Numbers in light green in ends and on mid sides. Metal Flying Snails light green attached, not just painted on. I have one somewhere.

2. 1960 or so, overlapping (dirty) silver, to 1963 - post-'55 lighter green with or without thin waistline light green band. Steel "snail" painted light green attached to sides, high up middle. Numbers in light green on ends and sides as before.

3. 1962: now we're into the black'n'tan era. Initially, full black'n'tan with waist high tan all round. Numbers on ends as before but in white. Side numbers small at ends. Then, all black. Some had CIE rounded on sides with small numbers at cab ends, others had a single large number in the middle and no roundel. Numbers on all black ends as before. Finally, some (not all) got the yellow panel with black number; other details as before.

4. After re-engining (if that's a real word) in late 60s / early 70s, a few initially with full height tan band, but most (and eventually all) with lower dipped tan band on side. Roundels and smaller numerals.

5. Post 1972, Supertrain livery.

6. For the A class, post-1987 Tippex livery. No Cs ever got this as they were all recently withdrawn. I think a C in tippex would have looked great!

Re the grey / green era, there will be a book.................though it's going to be several years!
    Last edited by jhb171achill; 1 Week Ago at 10:08 AM.

Noel, the various colour albums should show enough of them to get an idea.

Basically, for A and C classes:

1. New - to early 1960s at latest: All over silver, bogies & roof included when new. Since this weathered worse than any livery in history, before or since, heavy weathering is obligatory to look realistic! Numbers in light green in ends and on mid sides. Metal Flying Snails light green attached, not just painted on. I have one somewhere.

2. 1960 or so, overlapping (dirty) silver, to 1963 - post-'55 lighter green with or without thin waistline light green band. Steel "snail" painted light green attached to sides, high up middle. Numbers in light green on ends and sides as before.

3. 1962: now we're into the black'n'tan era. Initially, full black'n'tan with waist high tan all round. Numbers on ends as before but in white. Side numbers small at ends. Then, all black. Some had CIE rounded on sides with small numbers at cab ends, others had a single large number in the middle and no roundel. Numbers on all black ends as before. Finally, some (not all) got the yellow panel with black number; other details as before.

4. After re-engining (if that's a real word) in late 60s / early 70s, a few initially with full height tan band, but most (and eventually all) with lower dipped tan band on side. Roundels and smaller numerals.

5. Post 1972, Supertrain livery.

6. For the A class, post-1987 Tippex livery. No Cs ever got this as they were all recently withdrawn. I think a C in tippex would have looked great!

Re the grey / green era, there will be a book.................though it's going to be several years!
    John, thank you very much. You are truly the 'jbikipedia' of this forum all matters Irish railways.