Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Diesel Arrival

New Diesel Arrival

New Diesel Electric Arrival, back in 1961.

Name:  IR019.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  129.5 KB

Did the steam drivers change over to driving diesel loco's?
    It must have made a big difference to their workload.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    In one of the earlier examples of what we nowadays call an "early retirement package", steam drivers who did not want to re-train were given an option of early retirement (no lump sum, but the comparatively generous CIE pension), or a move to another area of the company. Among those I have been aware of, were one who became a goods clerk, another few who transferred to station work, and another who re-trained as a CIE bus driver. If they transferred to another area where wages were lower, I would imagine (but I'm not sure) they kept their driver's terms and conditions.

Many left. Same with the UTA - one GNR driver who my father knew became a bread delivery man. Many emigrated, including the man who drove the last train out of Enniskillen in 1957.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

In the US , that basic Diesel loco pattern had killed steam from 45 onwards . I seem to remember getting a cab ride in the 70s , with a driver that had been a fireman , did firemen retrain to be diesel drivers ?

When you see pictures of the as delivered 121s you really notice what got added to them over the years. Looking at that shot, no full length hand rails along the hood and no air brake and multiple working hoses or connections.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Junctionmad View Post
    In the US , that basic Diesel loco pattern had killed steam from 45 onwards . I seem to remember getting a cab ride in the 70s , with a driver that had been a fireman , did firemen retrain to be diesel drivers ?
    Some did, some didn't. Some left the railway entirely, others got non driving railway jobs.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

they were busy little work-horses too 121,s unique looking loco,s
    memories.

Quote Originally Posted by craven1508 View Post
    they were busy little work-horses too 121,s unique looking loco,s
    memories.
    And as can be seen above, and even more so in colour, they looked positively space-age compared with what was round them. A bit like a brand new ICR sitting beside one of the last 141s, only way more so.

Good that 134 is preserved - and now IT looks archaic! From space age to archaic in forty years.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    And as can be seen above, and even more so in colour, they looked positively space-age compared with what was round them.
    I thought exactly that as I looked at the photo. There seems to be a clear black lining to both the snail and the number whereas no such contrast exists between the yellow and grey above and below the bufferbeam
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

Some of the drivers I knew of became UTA bus drivers, furniture removal men or school lollypop men!