Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Stock - Irish Freight Models

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    That layout and everything on it looks absolutely top class. Love your weathering. It's just as I remember it - things were generally pretty clean in the black'n'tan era - unlike the grey green silver era just before when all but new stuff tended to be VERY down at heel!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

I have to agree with Blaine & RedRich here
    If you pay top dollar you should recieve top notch work
    As my modelling skills are non existant I commissioned some Park Royals but when they arrived they were way below what I had expected
    I hope to have them sorted some time but with all the new model about to be released they are on the back burner
    However people vote with their pocket and if this is a coach that you are happy with, knock yourself out
    Its your hobby, enjoy!

Blog Entries
    To put things in perspective mass produced injected models like the MM Cravens are incredibly cheap because they sell in 1000s rather than the 50 + units required to break even with hand finished resin cast model.

A professionally assembled brass SSM or Worsley Works coach is likey to set the buyer back a min £250-300 the parts alone to build a brass coach will set you back around £70.

The IFM rtr coaches are reasonably priced for what they are and ideal for a layout such as Noel's where the emphasis is on action, but totally unsuitable for a fine scale layout such as Advavoyle or Valencia Harbour where models are viewed up close.
    Last edited by Mayner; 09-03-2017 at 06:34 AM.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

I suppose at the end of the day , it boils down to what one thinks is " top dollar " , certainly commissioning a high quality coach is well beyond 100 quid or so ( and likely well beyond 200 )

As for suitability for a given layout. Well I'm sure P4 plank style layouts like Valencia harbour would take an IFM moulding and make great things with it. A large 00 layout like Noels hasn't that luxury of just needing 6 pieces of rolling stock ! Or in tony mills , case, a virtual battilion of helpers.

Equally we see everyday layouts that are full of compromises , highly detailed stock running on PECO 100 , or Scenery that is inexpertly rendered etc. Very few modellers are experts in all forms of the craft. My own view is a layout works best when the " general " level of detail and accuracy is the same across all the crafts that make up railway modelling. Whether that's good , great or extra ordinary accuracy is really up to the layout implementior .

Therefore I think the critism is misplaced somewhat, yes the models have deficiencies and the manufacturing methodology has drawbacks, but right now it's the only rtr available and that floats Noels boat and as we say round here " it's your train set "

Quote Originally Posted by Junctionmad View Post

Therefore I think the critism is misplaced somewhat, yes the models have deficiencies and the manufacturing methodology has drawbacks, but right now it's the only rtr available
    Did people say that when Lima 33's masquerading as CIE locos were sold?
    "Cool Hand Blaine"

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    Did people say that when Lima 33's masquerading as CIE locos were sold?
    I presume many were bought , but I can't tell

Equally the various ifm models are considerably better then the Lima case. I've seen them up close , they are " not bad "

The criticism is not displaced one bit. Dave is a collector and enthusiast of the hobby and has seen every kind of quality in his time, therefore his opinion is sound. The same can be said for Ed's opinion as he has been involved in the hobby for a long time as a modeller and exhibitor at shows on this island and beyond.

The OP himself has stated in another thread that he would not want to go down the kit road of non injection moulded plastic models. When he asked the IRM team if there were any intentions of a bullied corrugated model being produced the lads said there were no plans at this time. It was pointed out to him that another manufacturer has produced a fine kit of the wagon, he said himself he would only be interested in injection moulded plastic models. That then blows the availability theory out of the water.

I'll take a bet Junctionmad, that if anyone except Noel had started this thread you would not have gotten involved in it.

Rich,

Wow! What a load of bollox. I suggest this thread be deleted or locked as it's nothing short of an IFM bashing exercise.

A few facts:
    1: IFM do not charge top dollar. 95 euro is NOTHING for a handmade model of any description. Comparing with China mass production? Meaningless.
    2: It is well known that IFM have some compromises in their models. As with any product, look at the pics before buying.
    3: It's a free world, IFM can make whatever they like, however they like.
    4: The people who produce Irish models do it mostly out of the desire to create an Irish railway model scene and hopefully not go broke in the process.

There's a reason the UK manufacturers haven't touched the Irish market except when commissioned with money up front. You can still get Cravens made 10 years ago.

There's a sense of entitlement and waiting around for top notch RTR everything on this board. Ain't gonna happen in any of our lifetimes/ever. Out of curiosity I bought an IFM Park Royal kit. It's perfectly well cast and will make into a lovely model with medium modelling skills. Not 'Master' skills as some have suggested.

So enough with the IFM bashing and get out your glue and airbrushes chaps. I learned from nothing and so can the rest of you.
    Last edited by David; 09-03-2017 at 09:52 PM.
    D&M Models - BUILDERS OF HAND-BUILT IRISH MODEL TRAINS
    Price List: http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/show...8193#post48193
    Our section on this website: http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/foru...D-amp-M-Models

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Wow! What a load of bollox. I suggest this thread be deleted or locked as it's nothing short of an IFM bashing exercise.

A few facts:
    1: IFM do not charge top dollar. 95 euro is NOTHING for a handmade model of any description. Comparing with China mass production? Meaningless.
    2: It is well known that IFM have some compromises in their models. As with any product, look at the pics before buying.
    3: It's a free world, IFM can make whatever they like, however they like.
    4: The people who produce Irish models do it mostly out of the desire to create and Irish railway model scene and hopefully not go broke in the process.

There's a reason the UK manufactures haven't touched the Irish market except when commissioned with money up front. You can still get Cravens made 10 years ago.

There's a sense of entitlement and waiting around for top notch RTR everything on this board. Ain't gonna happen in any of our lifetimes/ever. Out of curiosity I bought an IFM Park Royal kit. It's perfectly well cast and will make into a lovely model with medium modelling skills. Not 'Master' skills as some have suggested.

So enough with the IFM bashing and get out your glue and airbrushes chaps. I learned from nothing and so can the rest of you.

I have to say I agree with this entirely. The model world is for all - engineering perfection is for some, accurate appearance for others, smaller budget for others, absolute perfection in all regards for some of us who can afford it. This is an excellent forum where as long as I've been reading it everybody has happily bumbled along merrily together. There will be few products from any manufacturer which suits everyone's standards and budgets.

Personally, I salute IFM for satisfying the market they do, also others for the different emphases they place on their projects. Anyone who enters what (read post above) is undoubtedly an extremely difficult commercial market is to be lauded. Leslie's wagons, Garfield's bubbles, and others here will all agree; not easy to produce.

So - IFM - certainly, for some people but not all, but hats off for what they do.

That's just my bit. Over'n'out.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

When I saw the word facts it reminded me of the rant Rafa Benitez had when he was Liverpool manager. We all know how that ended up. Leave the modding to the lads.

Rich,