Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Class 121

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Interesting info Dave. So would Black'n'Tan 121s during 1960s have had 567CR or 645 engines?
    Hi Noel, as I said above, the 121s received the 645s from scrapped C classes (which were withdrawn in the mid-1980s). The re-engined 121s were the ones fitted with push-pull equipment.
    Last edited by Garfield; 14-05-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

You'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between the rootes blown 645 and the 567 originally fitted. It's quite subtle.
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Quote Originally Posted by WRENNEIRE View Post
    Entering service in 1989, these trains, consisting of a single 121 Class and up to six carriages, were mainly used on the Dublin northern suburban passenger railway service.

This is why I want to see this model, fond memories of travelling home from college, I think the 1825 from Pearse street to Dundalk, the grumbling 121 at the rear, good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    Hi Noel, as I said above, the 121s received the 645s from scrapped C classes (which were withdrawn in the mid-1980s). The re-engined 121s were the ones fitted with push-pull equipment.
    Thanks Patrick. So in the 1960s B&T 121s would have had the original 567CR. Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Warbonnet View Post
    You'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between the rootes blown 645 and the 567 originally fitted. It's quite subtle.
    Thanks Fran.

Main difference between the EMD 567 & 645 engines was their engine speed. The EMD 567s fitted to the Irish BGMs idled at 275rpm & flat out ran at 835rpm. The 645 engines by comparison idled at 315rpm and in maximum power ran at 900rpm.

I guess the best analogy in relation to sound (roughly speaking) is the sound of a 181 idling is close to the sound of a 141 in notch 2. By comparison the sound of a 141 in max power is similar to that of a 181 between notches 6-7. The exhaust manifolds are both the same on each loco and has been commented they sound very similar.

The 121's didn't get 645 engines until the 1980's, when they were available from withdrawn C class. Both 567 and 645 equipped locos were fitted for Mk.111 push-pull operation, and (as far as I know, but could be wrong) all 15 were made able to work the AEC push-pull sets, when they were fitted with MU equipment in the 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlak View Post
    Main difference between the EMD 567 & 645 engines was their engine speed. The EMD 567s fitted to the Irish BGMs idled at 275rpm & flat out ran at 835rpm. The 645 engines by comparison idled at 315rpm and in maximum power ran at 900rpm.

I guess the best analogy in relation to sound (roughly speaking) is the sound of a 181 idling is close to the sound of a 141 in notch 2. By comparison the sound of a 141 in max power is similar to that of a 181 between notches 6-7. The exhaust manifolds are both the same on each loco and has been commented they sound very similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by BSGSV View Post
    The 121's didn't get 645 engines until the 1980's, when they were available from withdrawn C class. Both 567 and 645 equipped locos were fitted for Mk.111 push-pull operation, and (as far as I know, but could be wrong) all 15 were made able to work the AEC push-pull sets, when they were fitted with MU equipment in the 1970's.
    Thanks guys, that is great information. I will go with a EMD 567 sound project for my B121 project which ran in 1960s in B&T livery.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    I know this is off topic..... I never discerned much difference between the old and later 121 engines, but I remember A & C well, and the unique-sounding "whistle" of the NIR Hunslets.

What I DON'T remember, but would love to hear, is the B101 sound, which I have no recollection of although I footplated one!

And the old Bollinder engines of CIE's Grand Canal barges....
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    What I DON'T remember, but would love to hear, is the B101 sound, which I have no recollection of although I footplated one!
    The Sulzers had 6LDA28 engines, which were also used in BR's class 24s. So, allowing for different exhausts, etc. I'd imagine they would have sounded something like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Warbonnet View Post
    Maybe I watch to too many Youtube videos of the different locos (a disctinct possibility!) but I notice a marked difference between the 567 and 645. There is also a subtle difference between the original 567 and the ones overhauled with the 645 power assemblies. Hard to spot, but it is there.