Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Class 121

Quote Originally Posted by Alan564017 View Post
    Anybody have any updates on when the 121's might hit the shelves?
    paddy at raheny, said to me late this year ( 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Junctionmad View Post
    paddy at raheny, said to me late this year ( 2017)
    Hopefully that might suggest pre-production samples at the SDMRC show, and if all went well perhaps retail deliveries some months after that.

I can remember when that class 33 came out over here in CIE colours and I thought wow a Irish loco and so it wasn't till I had a proper look at it at home that I soon realised that it wasn't the real thing and so it soon got consigned to box 101 totally disgusted with myself then there was the Lima 201 which I didn't discover for bout 7 years after release such a stupid boy ! . Fair play to MIR for his efforts and what he achieved and now look at what we have but the 121 is a long time coming !
    Speaking to Dave Bracken a while ago about loco manufacture I was seriously thinking of going into Irish loco manufacture at my workshop here in Sussex but things are moving so fast what with 3D prototyping it rapidly became non viable and now we have mineral wagons and cement bubbles coming up which I eagerly await to order but my house move is slowing everything down for me but I'm hoping for a good year in 2017 god willing ! For my own layout but lots if work to be done !
    Peadair.......

Quote Originally Posted by Molderman View Post
    I can remember when that class 33 came out over here in CIE colours and I thought wow a Irish loco and so it wasn't till I had a proper look at it at home that I soon realised that it wasn't the real thing and so it soon got consigned to box 101 totally disgusted with myself then there was the Lima 201 which I didn't discover for bout 7 years after release such a stupid boy ! . Fair play to MIR for his efforts and what he achieved and now look at what we have but the 121 is a long time coming !
    Speaking to Dave Bracken a while ago about loco manufacture I was seriously thinking of going into Irish loco manufacture at my workshop here in Sussex but things are moving so fast what with 3D prototyping it rapidly became non viable and now we have mineral wagons and cement bubbles coming up which I eagerly await to order but my house move is slowing everything down for me but I'm hoping for a good year in 2017 god willing ! For my own layout but lots if work to be done !
    Peadair.......
    Well if you're game for it, an A class and maybe a J15 would sell well based on previous threads on here. If we don't see the 121 until end of 2017 (and that must be a provisional date, based on previous releases), I'm not entirely sure we'll ever see the A class let alone anything else
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

Quote Originally Posted by DiveController View Post
    Well if you're game for it, an A class and maybe a J15 would sell well based on previous threads on here. If we don't see the 121 until end of 2017 (and that must be a provisional date, based on previous releases), I'm not entirely sure we'll ever see the A class let alone anything else
    I'm happy to bet that we will see an A Class Kevin. These things take time and resources.
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Well Dive I will have a look at things again after my house move as I do have an 'A' class prototype already cast and looks very good and any info on a j15 would help so I think that Dave B is right in his advice but it's just that things move so fast in prototyeping what with the advent of 3D printing and such !

I was trawling through Wikipedia while eating my porridge this morning

Although originally fitted with an EMD 8-567CR engine of 960 horsepower (720 kW), all were later fitted with 645 type "power packs" (piston & liner assemblies) for parts standardisation, while at the same time keeping their original power output for reliability reasons. Numbers 126-129 were later rebuilt with an EMD 8-645E engine of 1,100 horsepower (820 kW); as used in the 181 Class locomotives.
    All but three (121, 125, and 135) were fitted with Train Door Control equipment for operation with the Inchicore-built, BR Mark 3 based, Push-Pull train units. The push-pull equipment of locomotive 132 was subsequently decommissioned. Entering service in 1989, these trains, consisting of a single 121 Class and up to six carriages, were mainly used on the Dublin northern suburban passenger railway service.

Now I know PM is having a sound chip made for these locos and that he is thinking of different chips for the 2 different engine sizes
    The EMD 8-645E was also used in the 181's
    So I reckon we will have a factory made chip for the 181's when the 121's come on stream
    I presume that there would be no reason why they could not be produced before the locos come on stream?
    Happy days

Aye, they received the 645E units from scrapped C class locos.

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    For a model J15, there were a number of variations, not to mention different tenders used at various times.

With the SSM kit showing one variation, perhaps the larger (later) boilered variety, like 186, would be best. If modelling the grey/green era, a decent RTR six wheeler is a must. I'd be in the market for a good few.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by WRENNEIRE View Post
    I was trawling through Wikipedia while eating my porridge this morning

Although originally fitted with an EMD 8-567CR engine of 960 horsepower (720 kW), all were later fitted with 645 type "power packs" (piston & liner assemblies) for parts standardisation, while at the same time keeping their original power output for reliability reasons. Numbers 126-129 were later rebuilt with an EMD 8-645E engine of 1,100 horsepower (820 kW); as used in the 181 Class locomotives.
    All but three (121, 125, and 135) were fitted with Train Door Control equipment for operation with the Inchicore-built, BR Mark 3 based, Push-Pull train units. The push-pull equipment of locomotive 132 was subsequently decommissioned. Entering service in 1989, these trains, consisting of a single 121 Class and up to six carriages, were mainly used on the Dublin northern suburban passenger railway service.

Now I know PM is having a sound chip made for these locos and that he is thinking of different chips for the 2 different engine sizes
    The EMD 8-645E was also used in the 181's
    So I reckon we will have a factory made chip for the 181's when the 121's come on stream
    I presume that there would be no reason why they could not be produced before the locos come on stream?
    Happy days
    Interesting info Dave. So would Black'n'Tan 121s during 1960s have had 567CR or 645 engines?

Wheeltappers (http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co....d-5/index.html) have 6 variants for 141s and 181s (normal, tired, overhauled engine), with or without PowerDrive mode (PD) which is their implementation of LokSounds Full Throttle mode. I understand they plan to release a number of 121 variants. I have both PD and non-PD versions of their 141 and 181 and they sound really well. Will be changing the chip in my B121 later this week.