Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GNR(i) Wagons

GNR(i) Wagons

Just found some old negatives, none of them labelled but I scanned so anyone with knowledge can label themName:  img005.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  103.4 KBName:  img007.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  97.6 KBName:  img014.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  83.4 KB

The first one might be 2518 20 ton Guinness Van (Whitehead?)
    The second one possibly a GNRI Cattle Van of which Provincial Wagons do excellent kits.
    504 is a 20 ton Guinness Grain van, (Whitehead?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirley View Post
    The first one might be 2518 20 ton Guinness Van (Whitehead?)
    The second one possibly a GNRI Cattle Van of which Provincial Wagons do excellent kits.
    504 is a 20 ton Guinness Grain van, (Whitehead?)
    It looks to me as though the first and last photos are of the same wagon(504?).

Bet that cattle wagon had, um, a powerful aroma!

Many thanks for sharing.

Cheers for Now.

Richard.

Whitehead as far as I'm aware had 2 GNR Guinness wagons, I may be wrong but didn't they scrap one and salvage parts from it to retore the other in the future?
    Nelson
    1̶5̶,̶1̶6̶,̶1̶7̶ 18 years old, and,
    Modelling the LNER, LMS NCC and UTA (steam of course)

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunluce Castle View Post
    Whitehead as far as I'm aware had 2 GNR Guinness wagons, I may be wrong but didn't they scrap one and salvage parts from it to retore the other in the future?

Correct, Nelson. The scrapped one was rotten throughout and if not scrapped was on the verge of disintegrating.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Not scrapped yet according to the website, http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/carriages/wagons.html
    Nelson
    1̶5̶,̶1̶6̶,̶1̶7̶ 18 years old, and,
    Modelling the LNER, LMS NCC and UTA (steam of course)

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    As good as.... the dismantled parts include much completely rotten material which can't be used again.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Were the Guinness ones de facto Private Owner wagons?

Great pics Tony, keep them coming. I agree with Richard, the grain wagons look like one and the same.

The picture of the cattle wagon is a reverse image. When reversed, G N is clearly visible top left, and a number, possibly 2326, top right.

I have drawings for both these wagons. If anyone wants a copy, send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minister_for_hardship View Post
    Were the Guinness ones de facto Private Owner wagons?
    No, they were fully GNR owned, though yes, "de facto" used only for Guinness traffic as far as is known.

When modelling the past, we see numerous British Hornby or Bachmann models of private owner wagons. If modelling Irish prototypes, it must be remembered if accuracy is wished for, that private owner wagons in Ireland were very rare indeed, and many extremely short lived; also, they tended to operate over one specific route, not in general goods trains all over the place. Example: Downshire wagons - Dundrum (Co Down) to Belfast only. You wouldn't get one of these, for example, in Enniskillen, Mullingar or West Cork, and there would be no Guinness grain vans on the NCC!