Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GNR(i) Wagons

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyMcGartland View Post
    I was told the shuts were hung down the outside of the high retaining wall and placed into wagons, maybe I'm wrong. However, the last shunter who worked Omagh, Joe McGrew is a good friend of mine and I see him quite a lot. I was thinking of interviewing him on camera on his memories of the shunting operations at Omagh and for some knowledge on the make up of the wagons he worked.

Found it !

Name:  Omagh Grain.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  251.9 KB

Photo was by the late Des Coakham

The truck was said to be owned by Scotts the local millers.

The load could well be animal feed rather than wheat for milling, the legend "Excelsior Feeds"is just about visible on the truck
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayner View Post
    Found it !

Name:  Omagh Grain.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  251.9 KB

Photo was by the late Des Coakham

The truck was said to be owned by Scotts the local millers.

The load could well be animal feed rather than wheat for milling, the legend "Excelsior Feeds" is just about visible on the truck
    Excellent picture John. I was wondering what the chutes looked like having seen them represented on the drawing.
    I note it also says 'Grain in Bulk for Excelsior Feeds' on the truck.
    Looks like the GNR was into the carriage of bulk grain for anyone, and not just Guinness.
    I seem to remember seeing four wheeled bulk grain wagons on the LPHC lines in Derry, either discharging grain, or loading grain at a grain warehouse at the docks. There was also an overhead conveyor between the warehouse and docked ships. Again, I don't remember which way the grain was going.
    Last edited by Dhu Varren; 06-01-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Looking closer at the picture of wagons discharging grain, it looks like they are four wheeled bulk grain wagons. The one nearest the camera certainly is.

Excellent picture, thanks for retrieving that one John.

Very interest picture indeed. Scotts Mill had a large 'Excelsior Feeds' sign on top of your gain silo's at their site on Mountjoy Road, Omagh. Were these wagons parked permanently in-situ to take advantage of their 'shutes' because it looks like the wagons are sited high above the Goods Yards in the old grain store.

I don't think that the wagons were there permanently but shunted in as required. This area is now the site of the Fold Housing complex. Access to the area was down quite a steep hill and is now the entrance drive to the Fold.

Yes, Mike you are correct. The exact location is indeed down the entrance at the Fold Housing complex. There was a siding there which was used as a 'cattle siding' at one time and indeed there were cattle pens.

I have zoomed into an aerial shot of Omagh Station and although slightly fuzzy you can clearly see two points of possibility where the wagons could have been loaded. In the central part and upper right of shot. Both show wagons parked there.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 08.59.28.png
Views: 108
Size:  295.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMcGartland View Post
    I have zoomed into an aerial shot of Omagh Station and although slightly fuzzy you can clearly see two points of possibility where the wagons could have been loaded. In the central part and upper right of shot. Both show wagons parked there.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 08.59.28.png
Views: 108
Size:  295.3 KB

I would say that the grain wagons in the picture being unloaded are in the siding in the upper right of this shot. This is due to being able to see a number of other wagons beyond the unloading wagons and beyond a low building. These wagons would not be as visible, if at all, were the unloading wagons standing in the siding in the central part of the shot.

Although Mayners photo may look antiquated to our eyes now, only a few years earlier the feed was transported from the station to Scotts mill in sacks using teams of horses drawing four wheeled carts. Made Omagh look (and smell) like a Wild West town!!