Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Class A ECMCHAS for Silver Fox Model

Any plans for a coupler mount on the bogies?

Hi patrick

I'm really only working with the coupler off the chassis, the pony truck may cause trouble for mounting a coupler! and the SF buffer beam is in the way! but could see what happens, Have you something in mind?

Eoin
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart

My concern is about mixing body mounted couplers with bogie mounted couplers which cause problems on curves epically when pushing rolling stock through points during shunting movements. A bracket on the end of the bogie frame with provision for mounting a cupler pocket would be perfect.

Hi patrick

Next time the test track is up I'll push some rolling stock through the points, I did test the chassis with a couple of Cravens forward and backwards through the points with no problems, but did not test something smaller/lighter without the close coupling unit!!

I will report back

Eoin

My heart and soul is in County Clare, but my body is elsewhere :-(
    Highly interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    My concern is about mixing body mounted couplers with bogie mounted couplers which cause problems on curves epically when pushing rolling stock through points during shunting movements. A bracket on the end of the bogie frame with provision for mounting a cupler pocket would be perfect.
    Hi Patrick

Finally got to run tests on the chassis mounted coupler- it's fine running backwards through points with wagons, but not with a Craven coach- serious lock with the chassis mounted system. When last testing I must not have pushed them backwards!

The way I designed the bogie with the little free truck at the front will not be suitable for mounting the coupler from there so I reckon its going to be some type of coupler plate off the chassis to allow more side swing! like a Keen Plate- but they are two wide. This will also require a wider slot in the body buffer beam as coupler height in within the beam area....

Some drawing is required

Eoin
    Last edited by murrayec; 1 Week Ago at 12:57 PM.

I think I have it sorted!

The Class A buffers were also locking with the Craven's in reverse- and sorting this problem lead to the solution. I extended out the NEM socket on the Craven so that the coupler buckle was beyond the line of the buffers, it then came to me that if I opened out the side of the 156 Gear Box on the A chassis to give the coupler a bit more swing it may work, it's done and it does. Now the couplers hit the buffers but it does not lock up, it drives backwards through the short Hornby points OK....

Until next time I have the track up I'll post a few picks n video