Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irish Rail freight trial

Quote Originally Posted by MOGUL View Post
    Did cement trains ever run at 1000 tonnes? I thought 900 would be the max made up of 12 Bogies or 24 Bubbles
    I have a copy of the Irish Rail Working Timetabe 11th Dec 05- 9th Dec '06. In it it sates that all liners are limited to 780 tons at 36 TEU max. Exceptions being 1,000 ton cement trains only to be hauled by 071 or 201 class. (2x 141/181) not permitted. The 1,000 tons train are only permitted with special permission between Platin and Northwall and Northwall to Cork.

I don't see anything in it about Tara Mine train weight limits other than the max weight of a laden wagon is 75 tons.
    Actually just found it, max tara weight limit of 12 wagons is 942 tons.

Cement trains were 900 max, the 1,000 limit was worst case with a dead loco in tow if needs be.
    Last edited by Railer; 25-06-2016 at 04:55 PM.

With the re-engining of the 201's near certain now, and Dublin Port remodelling the Tara Mines reception area (removing the length issue of the traverser there), I'd say a lot more freight will go 201 only. I think it has been said elsewhere that these longer freight flows will be 201 only as they are surer footed than the 071s

Leaves the question of what will become of the 071s, 10 has been overhauled and rebuilt so far plus they are all getting or have at this stage new electronic brake mods.

Didn't know anything was happening with the tara terminal, always figured if they really wanted a 201 could just propel the train down the tramway to unload, that would mean the 201 has no need for the traverser and just shunt and haul back as normal.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Cue a bid from the ITG for one.....????
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    Cue a bid from the ITG for one.....????
    No bidding needed depending on the case at the time. They got 124 for a symbolic €1, Irish Rail didn't charge them for it, but they had to pay for it's removal from Inchicore and transport costs to their site.

Blog Entries
    Indo article on IE plans to run longer freight trains http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-34842434.html
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    As recently as the 1970s, a single 121 could be seen taking empty cattle wagons from Dublin to Mullingar after a fair, and after being washed out. This regularly loaded to 70 four wheelers and two brake vans.

Is IE's much-publicised long train as long as this, or longer?

By USA standards, incidentally, it's about a fifth the size of some "normal" trains!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    As recently as the 1970s, a single 121 could be seen taking empty cattle wagons from Dublin to Mullingar after a fair, and after being washed out. This regularly loaded to 70 four wheelers and two brake vans.

Is IE's much-publicised long train as long as this, or longer?

By USA standards, incidentally, it's about a fifth the size of some "normal" trains!
    70 20-22ft wagons would be longer then the 27 wagon trial that was made up of a mix of 42 and 47ft wagons by at least 60 meters. The trial train was reportedly 440 meters long. 70 cattle wagons would be around 500 meters.

The next freight trial will take place next Wednesday, 26th April 2017.. 24 flat wagons running as 20:45 North Wall to Ballina.. The trial will operate as 24 wagons in the down direction only, with the train returning as two halfs on Thursday and Friday..

To facilitate the trial, the CPWs will commence operating on the DFDS liner this Thursday