Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: London toy fair (hornby)

It's like buying a brand new motor with a Model T engine under the bonnet...

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    That's it in a nutshell.

The world is gone backward - gone is supersonic passenger flight, gone is the space shuttle, manned space travel is finished, real dining coaches are gone from long distance trains, flying RC model aircraft has been replaced by drone cameras that have no challenge and need zero-1 skill to fly, gone is the HST ferry, where will it all end Ted?
    Down with this sort of thing!

Quote Originally Posted by minister_for_hardship View Post
    It's like buying a brand new motor with a Model T engine under the bonnet...
    Indeed.

Under their various names (Austin/BMC/Leyland...) the A-Series engine was used from 1951 to 2000.

And look what happened....
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

Speaking of British motor cars . .

Don't panic... James May is on the case: https://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/65257/0/

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

On that RM tread there is a picture of a Downtown Abbey train set. What in the name of God? I suppose the Harry Potter train sets were meant to have been profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by roxyguy View Post
    On that RM tread there is a picture of a Downtown Abbey train set. What in the name of God? I suppose the Harry Potter train sets were meant to have been profitable.
    Yeah it's appalling. There seemed to be a shortage of Thomas items for a good while as licensing was up for negotiations which has always been a good money spinner along with Harry Potter. Hornby since secured it but looks like the items only from China after Christmas!

Me and the other IRM crew must need our heads testing going into this industry!

Hornby were in a very healthy position in the middle of the last decade. Looks like a lot has gone wrong in recent times.
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

The Downton Abbey set was underwhelming, to say the least.

I guess a certain amount of the downturn can be attributed to changing tastes, but in all seriousness offering a set like that.

If there was a Father Ted train set, I would buy it.
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

Quote Originally Posted by Broithe View Post
    If there was a Father Ted train set, I would buy it.
    Would you get OO and N scale cows for those 'small, far away' perspective moments?
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)