Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 127

Thread: London toy fair (hornby)

  1. #11
    Is the decline of hornby not partly due to the absolute rubbish stuff they have been producing lately? I mean some of the train sets/packs are using ancient tooling from triang days and even lima.

    Even in the train set market is that really good enough?? Personally I am not too fussed on detail because I like to watch train go around, but the market have change dramatically.
    Name:  hornby-freelance-0-4-0-side-tank-br-43209-1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  57.4 KB

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Major brand names never die, sometimes they just change ownership. Hornby, Hornby-Dublo, Triang-Hornby, Hornby Railways, etc.
    They said that about Saab and GM shut them down in 2011. Unless a buyer is found they could very well go to the wall.

    Custom made baseboards, helix, storage units and display cabinets. Complete layout service available.




  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by roxyguy View Post
    Is the decline of hornby not partly due to the absolute rubbish stuff they have been producing lately? I mean some of the train sets/packs are using ancient tooling from triang days and even lima.

    Even in the train set market is that really good enough?? Personally I am not too fussed on detail because I like to watch train go around, but the market have change dramatically.
    Name:  hornby-freelance-0-4-0-side-tank-br-43209-1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  57.4 KB
    That's one of their biggest issues, old tooling that should have been scrapped. They have been trying in recent years with "super" detailed models but its just not enough. Coupled with rubbish DCC controllers they have become a cheap brand. They made hundreds of thousands of sets for the Olympic games in 2012 and they flopped.

    Custom made baseboards, helix, storage units and display cabinets. Complete layout service available.




  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by roxyguy View Post
    Is the decline of hornby not partly due to the absolute rubbish stuff they have been producing lately? I mean some of the train sets/packs are using ancient tooling from triang days and even lima.

    Even in the train set market is that really good enough?? Personally I am not too fussed on detail because I like to watch train go around, but the market have change dramatically.
    The starter sets of 30 years ago are pretty identical to starter sets now. A tiny primitive 0-4-0 loco that whizzes around faster than an A4 and stalls on points. This is Christmas cracker contents stuff nowadays.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Mayner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,703
    Blog Entries
    24
    Could end up with a similar situation to Williams in the US with a Kader takeover. Hornby by Bachmannanyone?

    A takeover by Kader would make sense to eliminate a major competitor drop the Bachmann name in favour of the stronger Hornby brand and rationalise the OO range.
    John


    If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

  6. #16
    The hornby new P2 class is a lovely looking loco, it retails at 135 pounds. I have heard of many people having to re-motor the loco already. It uses the same motor you'd find in a cheap 0-4-0. Hornby rested on their laurels for too long and are now paying the price. They need to limit the range and focus only on quality. The railroad range of stuff would have been a great seller when I was a kid, not now.

    Its very sad to see the disrepair that brand has fallen into. Is it too late to fix????

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by roxyguy View Post
    Is the decline of hornby not partly due to the absolute rubbish stuff they have been producing lately? I mean some of the train sets/packs are using ancient tooling from triang days and even lima.

    Even in the train set market is that really good enough?? Personally I am not too fussed on detail because I like to watch train go around, but the market have change dramatically.
    I think the problem lies more in this area, rather than the 'End of Days' scenario being suggested about the hobby in general. Other manufacturers have adapted with the market and are fairing well, while Hornby have struggled.

    Also, I don't think this latest financial report would have been unexpected after the supply issues and computer problems the company had last year.
    Last edited by Garfield; 11-02-2016 at 11:23 AM.

    Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

  8. #18
    Hornby exhibits many of the traits that we saw in British industry in general - traits that got rid of the motor industry, shipbuilding, motorcycles, most of the aircraft industry, etc. - even Tri-Ang and Chad Valley, that were once world leaders in toys.

    People often coast along with the belief that they "should exist", just because they do.
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by roxyguy View Post
    The hornby new P2 class is a lovely looking loco, it retails at 135 pounds. I have heard of many people having to re-motor the loco already. It uses the same motor you'd find in a cheap 0-4-0. Hornby rested on their laurels for too long and are now paying the price. They need to limit the range and focus only on quality. The railroad range of stuff would have been a great seller when I was a kid, not now.

    Its very sad to see the disrepair that brand has fallen into. Is it too late to fix????
    Really? For a premium loco released in the 2010s that's just beyond belief.

    I don't mind a 'budget' range, but having a decent motor rather than something found in a lucky bag.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by minister_for_hardship View Post
    Really? For a premium loco released in the 2010s that's just beyond belief.

    I don't mind a 'budget' range, but having a decent motor rather than something found in a lucky bag.
    Check this out


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Welcome to Irish Railway Modeller. The home of Railway Modelling and collecting in Ireland. We are a friendly, open community where you will find lots of support, advice and encouragement, as well as inspiration! Join us today!
Join us