Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drogheda Viaduct

Drogheda Viaduct

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I received this link from a colleague who worked on the renovations of the Drogheda Viaduct and it shows some nice drone captured footage.

http://www.irishtimes.com/dramatic-d...duct-1.2458554

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    It's turned very green. Did they rebuild it in copper?
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

That lighting has all the taste of a seaside arcade

By the way , is the track work still gaunt, or now conventional

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Still gauntletted.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

It looked more like a check rail , then gauntlet track work. That's why I asked.

That's what I thought too, junctionmad. But I checked with someone in IE.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    That's what I thought too, junctionmad. But I checked with someone in IE.
    I thought the track arrangement was simplified a few years back, no? Single track with a a 'Y' point at either end...

Edit: Photo taken last year shows it's single track with check rails - https://www.flickr.com/photos/63057595@N06/14908780583
    Last edited by Garfield; 18-12-2015 at 10:50 AM.

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

My heart and soul is in County Clare, but my body is elsewhere :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by garfieldsghost View Post
    I thought the track arrangement was simplified a few years back, no? Single track with a a 'Y' point at either end...

Edit: Photo taken last year shows it's single track with check rails - https://www.flickr.com/photos/63057595@N06/14908780583
    I think you are correct on that one. The interlaced track was removed, apparently over a decade ago.
    "F*** your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside"

Having viewed this video repeatedly, I am of the opinion:-

1) The innermost two rails have no sheen on them.
    2) The two outermost rails have a sheen on them.

These two facts suggest the outermost rails are the running rails and the innermost two are check rails. There are no other rails to protect a train in case of a derailment whilst traversing this structure. This being the case, the innermost two sets of rails are therefore - check rails!

News to me, if it is, and if so my source (within ironroad Éireann) isn't up to date either!

I'll make definitive enquiries.