Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drogheda Viaduct

My heart and soul is in County Clare, but my body is elsewhere :-(
    Also, the part of the film which shows the train exiting from the viaduct pans back to show it approaching a "Y" point....
    "F*** your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside"

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Maybe it is single track, then....
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

I think that the interlaced, or gauntlet, track was removed about 15 years ago. I remember reading about it at the time but I am not sure of the exact date.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    News to me, if it is, and if so my source (within ironroad Éireann) isn't up to date either!

I'll make definitive enquiries.
    The interlaced track across the Boyne Viaduct was taken out of use on the night of the 2nd/3rd March 1997, following the passing of the 20:15 Dublin-Belfast service.

Name:  D Bridge 8.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  77.2 KB
    Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

That's the situation prior to the 1997 work. As part of the re-modelling the start of the interlaced track was replaced by a turnout and the rails of the former Up line across the viaduct were removed. Also, the facing crossover (closer to the camera) was removed.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    In that case, I stand corrected!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks Barl for posting that, enjoyed it btw mind telling me who counted the rivets !! all 14,000 !
    Last edited by burnthebox; 19-12-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Any other examples of interlaced track in Ireland? It is common on tramway systems on mainland Europe.

Nice shot, Richie!! It looks like this has an interlaced up and down line with check rails on the inside also.

What would the advantage of an interlaced track (versus merging into a single road) have been? Absence of a facing point at the exit to the bridge in each direction?
    Last edited by DiveController; 19-12-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"