Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Irish" Conversion" thread

The official Irish" Conversion" thread

A thread to assist those who are looking for RTR stock that could be converted to look more like the Irish stuff.
    To start off,
    My favourites, the 800s. The Royal Scot class/patriot class are the ideal locos for conversion. I'm sure Des would supply you with nameplates and number plates.
    Another,very easy one is the woolwich moguls,get an N class, repainted, few little alterations and away you go.
    Bigger is Better(But there are many exceptions!)

Harry

Another one, the SR M7 0-4-4 to the GSR/CIE E1 class

Harry

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Various Hornby / Bachmann 0.6.0 tender engines can be botched up to look like passable GSR / CIE types, usually by simply doctoring the cab! A coat of grey paint and they'd look quite convincing.

Many British coaches can be repainted to look vaguely Irish, particularly more modern ones like Mk 2 and Mk 3. BR Mk 1 brakes can be very easily converted to genny vans.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

The SR Schools class is fairly close to a GNR VS class

Harry

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    The LMS "Jinty" can be made into an NCC Y class - same engine! Belfast had two of them, but they'd be only of use on a layout based on the Belfast docks area...

"Ordinary" four wheeled open wagons and some LMS or BR covered vans are close enough to many Irish equivalents, NCC, GNR or CIE. Certain tank ways so, likewise.

Guards vans are another matter - few British ones looked much like any standard Irish ones. Forget about railcars too!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

What would be a good one for a 400 class?

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    railcars
    Ohh b*****x!

Harry

A 400 class? Not sure - probably some British 4.6.0 which might be suitable for a change rough alteration?

But I'm not sure that this is the right way. Models suitable for "amendment" ("re-education"?) are expensive and it's a pity to cut them up unless a very realistic Irish model will result. Scratchbuilding may be better in many, if not most cases.

Off top of my head, may suit then again may required a hell of a lot of cut & shut..

LNER Sentinel-GSR Sentinel railcar
    http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news...railcarreintro

LBSCR terrier-GSWR 90 or sister locos.

L&YR 2-4-2T-WL&WR/GS&WR/C&MDR 2-4-2T

Wainwright C - WL&WR or MGWR 0-6-0?

GWR Star - 400 class?

New Hornby Peckett-Allman's/GSR/CIE Peckett

Quote Originally Posted by minister_for_hardship

GWR Star - 400 class?
    That is what Watson based the 400 class on, obviously, as you said major modifications would have to be made ( walshearts valve gear, split footplate etc..) times like these a Mr. C Flanagan would be very helpful...

Harry