Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Irish" Conversion" thread

Hi all,

Looks like Hornby have released another version of this coach with a different number, still pricey, but may be of interest:

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com...807398.jpg.jpg

Cheers for now.

Richard.

Roco D214. G class anyone? Remove the railing and modify the cab slightly.
    Name:  51144A.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  106.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by roxyguy View Post
    Roco D214. G class anyone? Remove the railing and modify the cab slightly.
    Name:  51144A.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  106.4 KB
    To add some clarity to your post roxy, the wheelbase of that model is 28.8mm,which looks roughly right, but I've no definite data. It would make the g class about 7 ft and change.

The length of the chassis, which is die cast, is 83mm. G class works out at 84ish.

That's the good news. Bad news is that anything above the solebar is way off prototype and wouldn't look like a g class, no matter the amount of 2 foot rules you apply.

Sadly, I'm not aware of any drawings of the G in circulation to aid scratchbuild in, but if I dig any out, I'll add them to the resources section here.

Richie.
    Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

I suppose it depends and how you look at it. To my eye it's not far off. The chassis and hood are close enough for me to take a punt on one and get out the spray paint.

Name:  Deutz-green-Edit.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  23.5 KB
    Last edited by roxyguy; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:03 PM.

Well you've seen my stuff, total rivet counter, but I'd be whipping off the cab and bonnet and rebuilding it right. To my eye the bonnet on the donor is too short and the cab too long, but Rule 1 always applies. It's your ****ing railway and you can run what you ****ing well like!

As long as you don't get modellers remorse at some stage, wish you'd gone the extra mile for a prototypical model, or don't try and pass it off as a perfect representation, then it's all good. Rule 1 after all... 

But you bring a valid donor to this thread, and lads searching Google for the same idea in time might be pop in here and be able to pick up those models for a few schillings. It's about 40ish years old, after all.

R

Cheers Glenderg. I'm off to the flea bay.

Good find. Possibly move the door from the rear to sides, remove walkway behind cab, trim roof a little, paint and weather with a bit of sleeper grime or frame dirt and she'll look like a G on anybodies layout. Personally I'd prefer an 0-6-0 shunter to 0-4-0 for slow speed running over points, etc.

Cheers, I think I'd move the cab back to be flush with end of the chassis also

I've just had to delete a few posts because the conversation sadly descended into a petty squabble. I'd advise the gentlemen involved to leave their handbags at the door in future.

Any issues in relation to this, PM me. Don't take it up again on this thread. Instead, let's allow it to get back on track...

Hi

I'm sure Sean Ryan has or had one of those Roco locos at the last Bray Show, I say 'had' also, because a regular chap to the show was thinking of buying it and not sure he did. Sean will be at Stillorgan on Sunday.....

I do like the little 'Roco' 'Loco' and it 'Yellow'

Eoin
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart