Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Irish" Conversion" thread

Quote Originally Posted by roxyguy View Post
    Cheers, must get me some and spray them green

Another one - hornby 2 axle timber wagon? suitable for an Irish layout?
    If it is the OTA wagon then no it is nothing like ours.

Rich,

Super Guru
    Blog Entries
    Having been pondering what is available in 7mm scale, where am thinking the net needs to be expanded to include kits, as RTR is not as extensive. Indeed the only RTRs I can think of might be the recent crop of industrials from Ixion, though there have also been two versions of the LNER Sentinels, for anyone interested in doing the Limerick Market branch! The usual Woolwich moguls, Jinty etc of course available as standard gauge kits, so like 4mm could be adapted for anyone interested.
    Despite suggestions in the 'Modelling Irish Railways' book, then only wagon [from unfitted, loose coupled days] would be the Slater's petrol tank, which did make the transfer, though needed buffers moving out, as well as wheels, of course. Would be interested to know of any other options.
    Whither atrophy?

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post

With matchboarded sides, I don't know if the Pullmans had snails. They certainly had no Pullman markings, as Pullman travel, as a distinct entity, was ancient history by 1945 when CIE was formed. The word "Pullman" disappeared after a comparatively short time in GSR days.
    With matchboarded coaches it would be difficult to apply a decal, unless you did what the West Clare did in pre-GSR days, mount it on a flat board fixed to the coach sides.

Quote Originally Posted by minister_for_hardship View Post
    With matchboarded coaches it would be difficult to apply a decal, unless you did what the West Clare did in pre-GSR days, mount it on a flat board fixed to the coach sides.
    No it's not, a little decal setting solution makes it quite easy to do.

Hornby freightliner wagon is a good basis for pw material wagons, timber bogies & 60ft container wagons just need to upgrade the bogies and add bufferbeams plus buffers. With careful cutting etc 47ft container wagons can be made too.
    Dapol Kqa's make good donors for pocket wagons although strictly speaking they would also need new bogies and be stretched in length.
    Dapol prestwin kit chassis have been used for a lot of 2 axle wagon types spoil, cement, ballast etc. Dapol tank kits for cie tankers.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    I suspect that the ex-Pullmans did not have "snails", actually, as one picture I have showing one in the distance doesn't seem to show one. That said, the coach is withdrawn in the photo and the paint is old and peeling so I can't be certain. With matchboard, I doubt it.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

GWR dean goods 0-6-0 can be made into a J15
    Bigger is Better(But there are many exceptions!)

Harry

Have looked around the workbench thread. "Scots Mac" made a pair of 400s out of SR King Arthur's. His thread is a wonder for conversions..

Harry

Harry

Started this a week ago, from a Hornby King Arthur.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  85.7 KB..no.402. Might put her in the CIE green. The chassis were very poor, so I will give her a more modern one.

Harry