Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Irish" Conversion" thread

Few obvious ones . .

Roco V65 - K Class
    Bach/Hornby Class 08 - D Class

Can anyone tell me are hornby pullmans reasonable as Irish pullmans??

The matchstick Pullman's are ideal
    Pullman's were originally leased from the Pullman Company complete with Porter
    Last edited by WRENNEIRE; 07-01-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Cheers, must get me some and spray them green

Another one - hornby 2 axle timber wagon? suitable for an Irish layout?

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    The Irish Pullmans had vertical matchboard panelling below window level. If you get a British one with smooth sides, these might be scored on. The Irish ones, too, were built to the Irish loading gauge.

Initially, they were in GSR maroon, but at least one - likely all three - also carried the short lived brown and cream with black lining for a time. They ended up in the darker CIE green (as on buses and green steam engines). They never had the light green.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks for that. I reckon they'd look great behind an 800 or the like.

Has anyone any pics of the Irish pullmans???

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    There's a pic of a line of derelict carriages at Naas, amongst which there's one - in one of those hard-backed colour albums produced a few years ago. I've seen pics in the IRRS - never, it has to be said, a good detailed one.

In these days of uniform rakes of carriages, it's important for modellers to be aware that prior to the "supertrains", hardly any two carriages we're alike in a typical train. Pullman cars (of which there were only three) ran singly in different trains. I've never even seen a pic of even two together, and there weren't enough in existence to make a whole main line rake anyway. So in the pre-mass-produced-laminate days in the late 40s to mid 50s, you'd have a train made up of a mix of Bredins, early steel-sided CIE stock, wooden coaches of both bogie and six-wheel type, from GSWR, MGWR and DSER, and a single Pullman stuck in the middle.
    Last edited by jhb171achill; 07-01-2016 at 12:59 PM.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

A previous Pullman discussion - http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/show...ll=1#post24602 .

..and, from a previous existence.. -http://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/topic/555/Irish-Pullman#.Vo5nmbaLRpg
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

Cheers for that, means I'll only buy one or two on the ebay so Did the dark green pullman carry white stripes or a snail I wonder??

Sorry, just saw that previous thread. All questions now answered! Thanks

In the CIE livery, yes, they would have had a light green stope above and below window level. The stroke above window level was thicker than the one below - the reverse of those RTR (is it Hornby or Bachmann?) repainted LMS coaches that you can buy. Nothing in CIE green, of either light or dark shade, ever had white (or yellow) stripes, numerals or snails - they were all a light green colour.

With matchboarded sides, I don't know if the Pullmans had snails. They certainly had no Pullman markings, as Pullman travel, as a distinct entity, was ancient history by 1945 when CIE was formed. The word "Pullman" disappeared after a comparatively short time in GSR days.

Jhb171 senior recalled that when brand new, in maroon, they had "GREAT SOUTHERN PULLMAN" above window level in standard GSR coach lettering (gold shaded red and black). Later, possibly when repainted brown and cream they had just "PULLMAN". Once painted green, just plain standard CIE coach livery.