Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Air Brush?

Very envious - neither front nor back garden here, just access to NBC grade respirators and filters.... and a bible and shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Glenderg View Post
    Very envious - neither front nor back garden here, just access to NBC grade respirators and filters.... and a bible and shotgun
    A drop of Napolean or a Bushmills doesn't do any harm neither Richie.

Rich,

Lads all this talk of expensive airbrushes. An expensive airbrush ain't going to make you a better painter. If you can't do it with a cheap airbrush a dear one is not going to make you better, its not the airbrush its the guy holding it that counts. I have several airbrushes for different things and the most expensive one is 25

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Lads all this talk of expensive airbrushes. An expensive airbrush ain't going to make you a better painter. If you can't do it with a cheap airbrush a dear one is not going to make you better, its not the airbrush its the guy holding it that counts. I have several airbrushes for different things and the most expensive one is 25
    Anto me old mate your the only one that has mentioned expensive airbrushes. People were exchanging info on what type of airbrush manufacturer, type that they use. I am not one for luxuries or novelties myself but anyone I have ever known in the hobby, textiles, body repaints, custom repaints of bikes or cars would disagree with you.

Look at the guys that do some of the custom paint work for the Tuetuls in American Chopper, they don't use 25$ airbrushes for their work. Artists don't use pound shop brushes for their work. Sometimes the expense and the outlay in a €80 tool can pay you back ten fold in it's lifetime. Tools for the hobby like good needle files drill bits are worth paying that little bit extra for as they last longer, airbrushes fall into that category also. I don't use my airbrush solely for railway modelling, I like to do some art work as well and there is no way that I could get the same level of precision work with a cheap and nasty.

Rich,
    Last edited by RedRich; 26-06-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Tell you what mate put your airbrush up against mine and lets see how good the cheap and nasty is. Or maybe it might be the guy using it I bet you I could do the same level of precision work with my airbrush as you do with yours
    Last edited by BosKonay; 26-06-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Dave here is a good little starter kit always try and get a compressor with an air tank

Check out this link Dave

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-C...ht_1280wt_1037

Dave my airbrushes are something like those in the link above but my compressor is a sealey 50lts as I am airbrushing all day everyday and I need the bigger air tank. You only have to look at my workbench to see what can be done with these airbrushes when working on model trains.
    Last edited by BosKonay; 26-06-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks for all the advise lads, it was getting close to airbrushes at dawn there lol . Although in my experience I believe in buying the best tool for the job. When I'm buying tools for my job I would spend a lot to get the quality and durability. The last tool I bought was a router made by Festool cost me over €600 where most professional routers cost around €300. I know it will last and has the power to do what I need it to do.
    I also believe if a tool is only used a few times a year the cheaper tool is a better way to go.

I have an oilless compressor with a decent tank I'll use and will probably go for the cheaper air brush as I'll only use it for weathering and painting locos.

I'll shut up now!

Thanks everyone

Cheers

Dave

Custom made baseboards, helix, storage units and display cabinets. Complete layout service available.

Oh, I meant to say I have designed a small spray booth with a fan and filter. I will be building it this week and I will post the pictures if anyone is interested in one let me know.

Cheers

Dave

Custom made baseboards, helix, storage units and display cabinets. Complete layout service available.

Hey Dave,

Definitely post the photos please! Would be of great interest!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Dave here is a good little starter kit always try and get a compressor with an air tank

Check out this link Dave

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-C...ht_1280wt_1037

Dave my airbrushes are something like those in the link above but my compressor is a sealey 50lts as I am airbrushing all day everyday and I need the bigger air tank. You only have to look at my workbench to see what can be done with these airbrushes when working on model trains.
    That set looks to be very good value.
    Tony