Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 121 Class

121 Class

With no firm commitment yet from Murphy Models as to a class 121 Bo-Bo(or am I mistaken?) my thoughts turned to a short term alternative.
    Now on Shapeways website there are bodies for both N and 3mm scales, so you have to wonder if it would be economical to get a 4mm version produced to go on a suitable chassis. Anyone got any thoughts or ideas?

Stephen

Hi Stevie. I wasn't impressed with the finish quality of any 3D printed models I've seen so far. The obvious chassis would be an existing MM 141/181. I'm happy to wait some years for high quality injection moulded plastic if it ever comes to pass. Nothing including 3D, resin nor metal beats it for detail nor quality. Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    The obvious chassis would be an existing MM 141/181.
    Bear in mind the 121 chassis is shorter than the 141/181.

Additionally, given that 141s aren't made any more and few will want to give one up for a chassis, it would be a better idea to make it fit something like an Athearn SW1500 chassis for example. Something easily available, and less expensive than a small GM

Quote Originally Posted by irishthump View Post
    Bear in mind the 121 chassis is shorter than the 141/181.
    Is the difference in length (i.e. buffer to buffer) due to different body length sitting over the same chassis, OR actual shorter distance between the outermost two axels?

Good idea, I mean who would want to destroy of some of Mr murphys work when something else can be used. Would the at Ahearn
    be roughly prototypical in size?
    Last edited by GSR 800; 27-07-2015 at 09:49 PM.
    Bigger is Better(But there are many exceptions!)

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Is the difference in length (i.e. buffer to buffer) due to different body length sitting over the same chassis, OR actual shorter distance between the outermost two axels?
    The 121 chassis is definitely shorter than the 141/181. It's noticeable in any photos showing a 121/141 double header.

Quote Originally Posted by irishthump View Post
    The 121 chassis is definitely shorter than the 141/181. It's noticeable in any photos showing a 121/141 double header.
    Thanks. I think I'll wait for quality should MM or Bachmann release a 121 model over the next few years. Enough of wishful thinking . . . summer activity beckons for now.

Quote Originally Posted by GSR 800 View Post
    Good idea, I mean who would want to destroy of some of Mr murphys work when something else can be used. Would the at Ahearn
    be roughly prototypical in size?
    The SW1500 is what's recommended for the MIR kit.

Despite most retailers being out of stock, in my experience new or mint MM 141/181s are still relatively easy to get hold of with prices varying between €80-130. Probably the best Irish model chassis ever produced. And who knows, perhaps in years to come there may be limited reruns anyway.