Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 121 Class

Quite by chance I've just looked on the Shapeways website and there is now 4mm body available from Rail 3D Prints for £46.49 plus £17.41 for a set of detailing parts. The 2mm version is designed to go on an SW9 chassis, so no need to chop up a 141/181 chassis.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Despite most retailers being out of stock, in my experience new or mint MM 141/181s are still relatively easy to get hold of with prices varying between €80-130. Probably the best Irish model chassis ever produced. And who knows, perhaps in years to come there may be limited reruns anyway.
    I tell you I wouldn't have the heart to cut one up to make it fit in a 121!

Quote Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
    Quite by chance I've just looked on the Shapeways website and there is now 4mm body available from Rail 3D Prints for £46.49 plus £17.41 for a set of detailing parts. The 2mm version is designed to go on an SW9 chassis, so no need to chop up a 141/181 chassis.

Stephen
    Just had a look but you would really need to see one of these in the flesh to know how good it is. Good to see they have bogie sides available but I guess glazing would be up to yourself.

The cost would be around €100 without shipping.

If they marginally cheated on scale length so it would fit straight over an MM 141 chassis I would be tempted to buy one. €190 for a completed 121 model would be worth it if the detail is any good (ie while waiting in case MM ever do one). I see they offer a polished version (ie no 3D grain). I'd have no problem discarding the body from an MM 141 chassis, but I couldn't be bothered shortening a chassis (cut'n'shut). On screen it looks far superior to past MIR resin bodies. I have not yet seen a decent detailed model of a 121 at any of the shows.

While I don't have one myself, the latest version of Athearn RTR SW1500 is supposed to be very good, including a good drive. And would be cheaper than a 141.
    Not saying you're wrong to do it Noel, I'm only commenting for the benefit of those like myself who would be tentative. Fair play to you for your willingness!

Quote Originally Posted by UP6936 View Post
    While I don't have one myself, the latest version of Athearn RTR SW1500 is supposed to be very good, including a good drive. And would be cheaper than a 141.
    Not saying you're wrong to do it Noel, I'm only commenting for the benefit of those like myself who would be tentative. Fair play to you for your willingness!
    Thanks. That's an option to consider. MM 141 seem less expensive than SW1500 eBay prices. I presume MM bogies are 00 gauge but the Athern is HO so would it look a little undersize?

Ps. If this Shapeways 121 is any good and sells well it could kill off any chance of a future MM/Bachmann offering.
    Last edited by Noel; 27-07-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Boys and girls
    Just home after a couple of shandies and I came across this thread
    I was talking to a friend earlier who was in contact with PM about another matter
    He tells me that PM has just returned from the Far East
    He would not give any specific details but I reckon you should start saving your shillings for next year!
    Just saying like

Quote Originally Posted by WRENNEIRE View Post
    Boys and girls
    Just home after a couple of shandies and I came across this thread
    I was talking to a friend earlier who was in contact with PM about another matter
    He tells me that PM has just returned from the Far East
    He would not give any specific details but I reckon you should start saving your shillings for next year!
    Just saying like
    Nice one

Reflected ripples in the Gulf stream suggest that vast quantities of a certain coach may have returned to to the Orient which would certainly explain why no more stock can be sourced by Marks Models so soon after release of an 'unloved' product. That 'being' the case…… well, I'll leave the chinese whispers to Dave
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DiveController View Post
    Reflected ripples in the Gulf stream suggest that vast quantities of a certain coach may have returned to to the Orient which would certainly explain why no more stock can be sourced by Marks Models so soon after release of an 'unloved' product. That 'being' the case…… well, I'll leave the chinese whispers to Dave
    The Oriental version of "luck-penny" the Chinese manufacturers tend to quietly sorts out the problem at their own expense without admitting liability and throws in a substantial discount off the next order for luck.
    Last edited by Mayner; 28-07-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.