Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J M Design overlays for Dapol coaches

Blog Entries

J M Design overlays for Dapol coaches

I am trying to establish if there is sufficient interest to add further coach sides to the Buffet & Corridor Second released last year.

The illustrations are in green because I was too lazy to draw them in black & tan

Name:  Open Second Outline.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  40.9 KB

Originally built 1953 classified as 3rds built to run as railcar trailers 1356-1371 were the first of CIEs family of 64 seat standard open coaches.

These coaches were also very close in outline to 1497-1503 some of the last traditional coaches built at Inchacore in the early 1960s.

Name:  Brake Standard Outline.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  39.2 KB

Originally classified as 3rds and introduced in 1953 some of these coaches were converted to driving trailers for use with the AEC railcars on the Westland Row-Galway & Westport "Cu na Mara" express service.

One of these coaches was later fitted with storage heaters for use on the Ballina Branch

Name:  1908TL.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  152.1 KB
    These coaches seem to have originally been introduced with guards look outs, some of which were later plated over, separate frets would be required for coaches with or without lookouts.

One of the coaches on the Loughrea Branch not sure of the identity of the photographer

Name:  BSGSV Outline.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  45.8 KB

Almost modern image introduced in 1978 Brake Steam Generator Van converted from 1953 Side Corridor Coach

This fret will be a tad more expensive than the ordinary coaches and a bit more involved to build as the van doors will have be engraved on a separate section of the fret to the sides.

I am looking at expressions of interest for a minimum run of 6 of any one type.
    Last edited by Mayner; 29-04-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Another JM Model, yes please, I'll take one.

Would be interested in full coach kit of these coaches similar to T.P.O./ Tool Van.

I would most definitely be interested in both the SO and BGSV. What is the likely price, please?
    Many thanks.

Stephen

I would be interested in 1of each of the CIE open standard and brake standard

hello . Could you explain these overlays if you have time? What is involved in them ? What way do you use them and on what coaches ?

Blog Entries
    The overlays are etched brass and designed to fit the Dapol Stanier 60' side corridor coaches more details are on the JM Design Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jmdesignmodelrailways

Kieran did a thread on his Workbench on building a rake of "Bredins" with these sides http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/show...rojects/page64.

If there is sufficient interest I will look at doing a set of etched parts to complete a scale length model of these coaches on a similar principal to the tin van kits. A common underframe and ends fret could be shared between several types of coach, with separate roof fret or moulding

SSM or Comet may be able to supply suitable castings which would reduce tooling costs and speed up introduction.

The overlays are $32Nz+$10 postage approx ₤16 postage + $5
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayner View Post

If there is sufficient interest I will look at doing a set of etched parts to complete a scale length model of these coaches on a similar principal to the tin van kits. A common underframe and ends fret could be shared between several types of coach, with separate roof fret or moulding

The overlays are $32Nz+$10 postage approx ₤16 postage + $5
    Yes please!
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

many thanks.

i will commit to two standard plus one brake std please. Did they all wear black and tan at some point ?

I will take the steam one as well. I thim
    No I could manage to do the Dapol conversion idea,