Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My first coach repaint to CIE livery

What's a "Micro Sol" Dhu Varren?? I tried to apply some lining from Railtec to a Mark 2 Super train Gen Van but I had trouble trying to keep the lines straight & also getting them to stay on! I'm interested in hearing from you guys the best way of doing this procedure...

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Thanks DV
    Hmm I'm probably missing something but I thought 'inkjet' printers cannot print the colour white. Noel
    You are quite right Noel, inkjet printers cannot print white. It is the transfer paper that is white. Transfer papers can be either clear or white.

The coach in the picture has a one piece decal with the blue printed on to white decal paper. All the white showing is bare decal paper. In this case, the paper used was white transfer sheet for laser printers.

Name:  IMG_2210.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  50.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rebelred View Post
    What's a "Micro Sol" Dhu Varren?? I tried to apply some lining from Railtec to a Mark 2 Super train Gen Van but I had trouble trying to keep the lines straight & also getting them to stay on! I'm interested in hearing from you guys the best way of doing this procedure...
    Micro Sol and Micro Set are decal fixing fluids which soften decals to help them conform to raised features like door hinges and handles, and also improve adhesion. They are similar to Humbrol Decalfix, but I find them better.
    I agree it can be difficult to get lines straight, but keeping them moist and careful jabbing with a moist firm paint brush can knock them into position.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhu Varren View Post
    You are quite right Noel, inkjet printers cannot print white. It is the transfer paper that is white. Transfer papers can be either clear or white.

The coach in the picture has a one piece decal with the blue printed on to white decal paper. All the white showing is bare decal paper. In this case, the paper used was white transfer sheet for laser printers.

Ah, Comprende. Many thanks DV, that makes perfect sense. Noel

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Those coaches look really well.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Hi Dhu Varren.

Thanks, that's another really great tip. Will try next time. I only thought of it afterwards. One thought did cross my mind though was had there been any masking bleed, would it have been easier for me to touch up the black or the tan colour with a paint brush afterwards (i.e. black being darker)?

A very tricky one is now facing me, to add both tippex white lines to a mk2d super train EGV to convert it to IE/IR EGV livery. The white lining is only 3" in real life which would be 1mm in 1/76 scale. It looks like I will have to remove the roof and all the black grip rails and handles from the coach sides. It will be tricky to use two masking tapes and leave exactly 1mm between them. Reverse masking not an option as the coach is already painted, but if I make a dogs ear o
    f it, I'll have no option but to do a full respray, and then reverse mask using 1mm tape will come into play (and while I'm at it paint the correct deeper shade of orange for ST era).

Noel
    Hi DV & Noel & many thanks, this might get me to start / attempt some kind of painting / respraying in the coming weeks....

Quote Originally Posted by Dhu Varren View Post
    PS: Forgot to mention, that NR coach is absolutely stunning. Noel

I love that NIR set. Would really like to have an early/mid 90s mixed NIR Mk2 set with all the accurate markings and numbers, big project I know. NIR's Mk2s always really interested me.

Here is a tip that might be worth trying for masking up a 1mm line. I used the method a number of years ago with great success.

Stick a length of masking tape onto a piece of glass, or a mirror. With a sharp blade, make two cuts 1mm apart down the middle of the tape. Remove the 1mm strip.

Stick a piece of clear tape (I use low tack) over the top of the remaining strips of masking tape, and pull off all three pieces of tape from the glass ensuring they stay together.

Apply the tape to the coach side with the 1mm gap where you want it. Once in place carefully remove the clear tape, and smooth the masking tape to ensure a sound edge for painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Railer View Post
    I love that NIR set. Would really like to have an early/mid 90s mixed NIR Mk2 set with all the accurate markings and numbers, big project I know. NIR's Mk2s always really interested me.
    Without wanting to hijack Noel's thread, here is a link to a thread I did a couple of years ago on NIR Mk 2s. http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/show...R-Mk-2-Coaches