Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My first coach repaint to CIE livery

It used to look like this LMS toy coach - a lot better (not my photo)

The actual body shell seems a prototypical botch job, a sort of mk1 shell with makey up side panels pretending to be old world LMS. Don't think any such coach actually ever existed.

Noel

Your coach was Hornby's pretty awful repaint of their Caledonian Railway coach - they did two (a compo and a brake third) to run with their Caley 123 loco. The original version was in a reasonable attempt at the Caledonian's coach livery.

I had considered repainting them in mahogany as a cheap and cheerful GNR panelled coach - but never did. 33lima built me half a dozen fifteen years ago which are still thundering round the loft behind my Class WT.

Like the others - I commend you for your handiwork when you were twelve!

Leslie

The coach came in a set with LMS Princess Elizabeth loco which had a working smoke generator.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    The coach came in a set with LMS Princess Elizabeth loco which had a working smoke generator.
    Noel, I have only now realised now what I have been holding onto, I had been planning to sell the coaches & the loco, ( smoke gen. et all ) & I was actually looking forward to that sale, happy days,

Another old rolling stock item dug out from storage

Please don't slag too much My first repaint to CIE colours - over four decades ago when I was about 12 or 13

I was desperate to have some Irish trains to run so decided to repaint my LMS train set coaches

Hand painted Triang LMS coach - I actually remember mixing multiple samples of humbrol paints and test patches to try and get a reasonable CIE tan colour. Can't believe I hand painted the white lining - My hands couldn't manage that anymore.

It used to look like this LMS toy coach - a lot better (not my photo)

The actual body shell seems a prototypical botch job, a sort of mk1 shell with makey up side panels pretending to be old world LMS. Don't think any such coach actually ever existed. What will I do with this now? Could convert it into an imaginary presidential coach. I vividly remember seeing President Childers sitting comfortably in an armchair on the then presidential coach about to depart Heuston station some time in the early 1970s, but that was a much earlier style coach and shorter.
    A bit of fun comparing re-paints.

1974 brush painted (not 100% sure if it was 1972 or 1974)

2017 recent respray training

Both side by side. Recent 2017 respray to CIE livery on left, 1974 hand repaint to CIE livery on right

Well done Noel, you dug up some interesting photos, mind telling me exactely how you got that white line looking sooooo good, TIA
    Paul

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    This captures exactly the atmosphere of the period. Rakes of carriages with no two alike, and no two in the same state of wear and tear, were absolutely the norm throughout the black'n'tan era.

Our "two foot rule" (the meaning of the expression only being explained to me the other day!) applies here perfectly.

The carriage may be far from authentic but it certainly looks right, especially with the other with it. It actually bears a vague resemblance to the most recently built MGWR bogie stock just before GSR times. Some of these lasted into CIE days, though probably not black'n'tan times - but they could have, and it certainly looks right for its environment.

And it's a very fine paint job indeed for a 12 year old.

Brilliant stuff.

(Now all ye need is brown chassis on those goods vans!) ;-)
    Last edited by jhb171achill; 29-03-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by burnthebox View Post
    Well done Noel, you dug up some interesting photos, mind telling me exactely how you got that white line looking sooooo good, TIA. Paul
    Which white line? If the 1972 model - paint brush in the steady hands of a child with a child's eye sight to match, if the 2017 model, reverse masking using 2mm tape.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    This captures exactly the atmosphere of the period. Rakes of carriages with no two alike, and no two in the same state of wear and tear, were absolutely the norm throughout the black'n'tan era.

Our "two foot rule" (the meaning of the expression only being explained to me the other day!) applies here perfectly.

The carriage may be far from authentic but it certainly looks right, especially with the other with it. It actually bears a vague resemblance to the most recently built MGWR bogie stock just before GSR times. Some of thes lasted into cie days, though probably not black'n'tan times - but they could have, and it certainly looks right for its environment.

And it's a very fine paint job indeed for a 12 year old.

Brilliant stuff.
    Thanks for the encouragement JB. I'll sleep easy tonight. BTW, an adjunct to the '2ft rule' is the added bonus of over 40s eye sight - wouldn't see a rivet at any distance without a magnifying glass

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    (Now all ye need is brown chassis on those goods vans!) ;-)
    I aim to please - gungey brown chassis weathered below. I'm gradually getting to eradicate black chassis from all our wagons. Applying CIE decals tonight from SSM using decal fix.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    It's an absolute gem of a layout, Noel. A layout which really captures a moment, an atmosphere, is art as well as, and as much as, technical skill.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Which white line? If the 1972 model - paint brush in the steady hands of a child with a child's eye sight to match, if the 2017 model, reverse masking using 2mm tape.
    Well Noel to begin I have to say a quick look at the pc of the two side by side sees YOU ON TOP of the old coach, PAINT BRUSH IN HAND doing what you do best now I know nothing about Reverse Asking Tape !!! Can you explain please,
    Paul