Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My first coach repaint to CIE livery

looks good to me! as good as my recent efforts at resprays ...oh and I am heading for 40 soon . So if you were that good around 12 well then you are laughing now! Fair play . it is nice to see modelling history. I wont show you my airfix cattle wagon kit build from years back...

Have to agree with the lads Noel. It looks like a job well done, especially the white line. Put the weight in the coach and run it with your other stock - it will look great.

Quote Originally Posted by josefstadt View Post
    Have to agree with the lads Noel. It looks like a job well done, especially the white line. Put the weight in the coach and run it with your other stock - it will look great.
    Thanks guys. (slightly embarrassed). It has great personal nostalgia value so I will run it despite its odd prototypical pedigree. I'll put some weight in it and change the wheels. It may inspire me to repaint these LMS Staniers which are close enough to CIE laminates in appearance. But I'll learn to use a spray gun and masking tape this time.

LMS Stanier as donors for CIE Black and Tan laminate stock

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Those LMS coaches would actually pass muster even better as Bredins... a good few of which were still in traffic in the 70s. Last one I travelled in was as late as 1976 or 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    Those LMS coaches would actually pass muster even better as Bredins... a good few of which were still in traffic in the 70s. Last one I travelled in was as late as 1976 or 1977.
    Thanks, that's interesting cause I have a lot of them in 'Corrination Blue' livery which could make suitable donors both for olive green livery and B&T. I travelled a lot on them too in the 60s and early 70s. After watching some Irish Railways DVDs I'm beginning to think I may need more Bredins and Park Royals than Cravens for the Kingsbridge layout.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Good thinking, Noel - though beware of olive green as such - it's more Brunswick green for CIE, or the lighter shade (as seen on some DCDR stock) post-1955.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Thanks guys. (slightly embarrassed). It has great personal nostalgia value so I will run it despite its odd prototypical pedigree. I'll put some weight in it and change the wheels. It may inspire me to repaint these LMS Staniers which are close enough to CIE laminates in appearance. But I'll learn to use a spray gun and masking tape this time.

LMS Stanier as donors for CIE Black and Tan laminate stock
    Well done Noel, & thank you, I knew I got my LMS Staniers 12mths ago for some reason, all I have to do now is plan their renewal, & while I'm on here, what are " Bredins.."
    Last edited by burnthebox; 30-10-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Burnthebox, Bredins are a design of coach built in the late GSR, early CIE period. They looked quite similar to laminates, hence why staniers can represent both types.

Thank you UP6936, now I can tick that off my " What's that list " & I look forward to getting my staniers painted in an era which I fancy, the CIE era, yippyiia !! PS, any pics of a Bredin ?

The basic body shape of those LMS coaches and the Bredins were not dissimilar. The main difference was that main line Bredins usually had centre doors with a loo either side.

Originally lined GSR maroon, then CIE dark Brunswick green, then light green (never silver - that was only for new builds late 50s) then black'n'tan.