Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CIE Dmu's ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin R View Post
    Hi Guys does the book DIESEL DAWN have any plans in them?

Colin
    Yes.

Small scale plans of most of the 1st generation of railcars and a lot of useful information and photos.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Thanks, that good enough for me to go and get a copy.

Colin

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Tony / Colin

Check the RPSI's sales section. I am nearly sure there was a copy of it among the second hand books on the May tour. It's an essential book for Irish railcars giving details of the huge array of types to be seen in the 1950s and 60s.

The AEC cars have been approximately replicated by Silverfox, giving a relatively inexpensive representation, through a re-liveried British Rail Craven 2-car DMU.

(Britain had DMUs, we had "railcars"!)

However, as others have oft remarked, a proper CIE / UTA / NIR / GNR kit or (better still) RTR would be a superb thing to have.

Somebody, somewhere does a kit - I've seen built up examples on this website. I imagine it's not for the faint-hearted to make, and once power units etc have been included probably not cheap. However, we get what we pay for and if within budget, quality is well worth paying for....
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Hi

Tonto & I think Glenderg did respray of BR Class 105 DMU's which might be what your thinking of JHB, they have the usual conversion problems like- door and windows but they do make a respectable AEC rail cars!

I have done some up-grades to the silverfox model- directional lights and DCC electric wired couplers throughout for Dartstation on here, and another converted to DCC 21mm with same above and coach lights for a chap not on here- a lot of work to do the directional lights n couplers....

Just to note- one does not have to ditch the motor when changing to 21mm, just replace the axles in the motor to 28mm ones, I used 2mm steel rods (piano wire)cut to size....

Eoin
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart

Hi

Here are a few shots of the first one, some cutting of the chassis and the drivers desk is required to get the LEDs in, the wires and connectors to remove the body from the chassis was housed in the WC- obviously! thats where most keep their valuables! then down through the floor, through the buffer beam and up into the next car which has a slotted buffer beam, to make the connection again in the WC. The wires are then painted black and it looks grand.

Name:  AEC DL-01 IMAG2632.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  AEC DL-02 IMAG2634.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  AEC DL-03 IMAG2635.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  87.7 KB

Eoin

Nice photos
    Last edited by Tarabuses; 05-06-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tarabuses View Post
    Nice photos
    Yes. Any outside view pics of the rail cars?

Sorry Noel

It's unusual for me but I cant locate the photos of the finished units! Do remember taking photos all right, and they should be in the dir that the ones above are stored in but when I went to post them up, only the ones above were found!

Eoin

Here is a link to Tonto's 105 conversion to AEC

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/show...ll=1#post72805

I'm told a Craven can be used in the middle, as it was done in the real thing! the same source also told me that this lead to the demise of some AEC power units as the Cravens were to heavy!

Eoin
    Last edited by murrayec; 05-06-2017 at 06:10 PM.

I think the 'kit' people have in mind might be the Worsley Works scratch aid kit? It's far from a complete set of parts...

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com