Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The possibility of a RTR 20ft wagon chassis?

The possibility of a RTR 20ft wagon chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by BosKonay View Post
    Leslie from Provincial Wagons would have good experience of it, but I assume something in the 250-500 wagon range would get a run made...
    Well, actually, Leslie has no idea! But, say 15,000 for tooling and then, say a fiver each to mould them? Even a thousand would be 20 a pop!

I was thinking of getting "My Man" to do me a resin bubble to go on the Dapol kit, but I've been beaten to it! I've still not given up the idea of a complete kit, but I wonder if all of you who want a train of bubbles have already got them?

As for the Prestwin, regrettably no-one makes them any longer, or you could get the chassis for about 7/8 a shot, less if you buy loads.

Hornby did do it and you'll find them on eBay, but was it sufficiently to scale? One photo I found was pretty ugly, compared to what the kit will make for you. But, more importantly, it was much too short - take a look on eBay.

Leslie

Mod edit: Thread split from 'New cement bubble kit now available from D&M Models' as it had veered away from the original topic into a separate discussion.
    Last edited by Garfield; 19-03-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Nice one David. Gap in the market spotted and taken care of Best of luck with these. The Prototype model looks spot on, top stuff.
    Tom.

Ok, so now who's going to have ready to run bubbles for sale for the modeler who's not into soldering, bending, fixing, gluing, etc.etc. but who would like to buy these models and enjoy them on their layout

Quote Originally Posted by burnthebox View Post
    Ok, so now who's going to have ready to run bubbles for sale for the modeler who's not into soldering, bending, fixing, gluing, etc.etc. but who would like to buy these models and enjoy them on their layout
    Surely if you're not into any of that then you wouldn't be called a 'modeller'?
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Warbonnet View Post
    Surely if you're not into any of that then you wouldn't be called a 'modeller'?
    Oh Fran....

Like burnthebox I'm a 'modeller' too.(

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Like burnthebox I'm a 'modeller' too.(
    If you guys aren't into a bit of DIY you can always send them to Laois, Cork or Newry to let the kit experts do them for you. I can't see a RTR version of Irish wagons any time soon unless one of us has a big lotto win.
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

I priced up Dapol to manufacture the 20 foot back in 2012.
    From memory, it was working out at around 16k for tooling and around 7 pounds per, including packaging / box.

5,000 wagons would set a cost price of 10.20 sterling (about 12.50 euro)

Add shipping, marketing, some margin to make it all worth doing, and you're easily charging 25 euro retail, assuming you could sell 5,000 of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Warbonnet View Post
    If you guys aren't into a bit of DIY you can always send them to Laois, Cork or Newry to let the kit experts do them for you. I can't see a RTR version of Irish wagons any time soon unless one of us has a big lotto win.
    Watch this space.......................