Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: David's Workbench

Blog Entries

Pub & shop at last!

It seems to have been a very long time since I started this pair of buildings and probably is. A combination of weather [far too hot in the workshop] and holidays, plus the fact that buildings like these, despite being low profile, demand a high amount of work & detail.
    Anyway, just about done now, so worth sharing.
    Initially, I made the shells for the pub and shop separately [from foam board], but once the DAS clay rendering began, I fixed them together, so they have been treated as a single unit since. The pub and shop windows/surrounds are all plastic strip, building up the profiles in layers, before eventually painting in enamels. The upper walls are just DAS clay, sanded smooth, then given a coat of cement colour [for the pub] and white for the shop. In fact, pure white looks too stark, so I toned it down a bit with a touch of ochre.
    Upper floor windows use a technique described by Gordon Gravett, where self adhesive address labels are stuck onto clear perspex, the glazing bars drawn on in pencil & then the window apertures cut out with a craft knife. It is then easier to paint the glazing bars with acrylics, as any paint on the glazing itself is easier to remove.
    I pondered long & hard about what I was going to do for the interiors of the buildings. The pub was fairly easy - a piece of card across the window to represent the back of a wooden settle; then everything else [bar, fireplace, clock etc] just drawn on another pieces of card which is actually the back wall. A few items printed from the CG Textures website completed the scene.
    The shop was more of a pain until I remembered good old John Ahern. His book on Model Buildings first came out in 1950 & my version goes back to 1970, but in terms of the basics, it really is the Bible. Sure enough, there is a chapter on shop windows, so once that was read, it was pretty straight forward. Both windows are simply layers of 'flats', cut from card & coloured with felt pens, crayons etc. The upper storey windows have simple curtains from coloured paper and nets from tissue.
    The pub name [Forbes] refers to Henry of course, though also down to the fact that this was the only name I could make from the raised letters I had available. Clogher Valley pictures show a general store run by David Graham, so a bit of work on the laptop soon produced my version.
    The two street lamps are Peco. Plastic mouldings, they are very delicate & for me, every bit as good as the white metal versions from other sources. Easier to make too. As yet they are unpainted, but will probably still end up green - unless JHB suggests otherwise! Some angles do not favour the painted back scene, but overall, 3D & 2D seem to blend in ok & I'm pleased that the road & pavements seem to be fairly seamless.
    With the back part of the scene done, hopefully I can now turn my attentions to the station again, in particular the overall roof.
    Name:  DSCN2443.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  64.6 KBName:  DSCN2441.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  76.0 KBName:  DSCN2438.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  84.4 KBName:  DSCN2437.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  81.9 KBName:  DSCN2436.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  75.4 KB
    Whither atrophy?

David, a truly fascinating piece of modelling. I can see you possess the gift of patience. The detail and choice of colours are so good.
    I just can't wait to get back to my modelling again soon, just back from Australia yesterday and off to Naples and Rome in three weeks time. Then the challenge begins. With inspiration like yours on this forum, it all helps.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    That hardware store is exactly like the shoe shop my mother and grandmother lived in / above during the 1920s and 30s.............. truly superb, atmospheric, realistic modelling.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Stunning work as always, David! Can't wait to see this layout in the flesh.

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Hi David

Looks amazing

Eoin
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart

Fantastic detail,well done.
    ENNISCORTHYMAN

Quote Originally Posted by enniscorthyman View Post
    Fantastic detail,well done.
    +1 Superb

Blog Entries
    Very high standard set on these David-really superb work.
    Should inspire many to scratch build

Blog Entries

Train shed

Name:  DSCN2445.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  83.2 KBName:  DSCN2444.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  85.3 KB
    Many thanks for all the positive comments folks. As ever, such things are great for going on to the next thing, which in this case is the 'train shed'. This is the 'Fintona' aspect of the fantasy, though in fact owes more to Wantage. Some major doodling eventually helped with the design, for which I'd got some quarter inch square balsa strip quite a while ago. A simple jig enabled me to make the five roof trusses. These were glued with Resin W wood glue and once dry I made a false roof from cereal packet card and glued the trusses inside with contact adhesive.
    Fitting the roof to the support posts is going to be interesting, not least because it requires the station building to be fixed down as well, so I have a list of things to do so beforehand, one of which is installing uncoupling magnets for the Kaydees. It will be somewhat difficult once the roof is in place - as will back scene detailing in that area & so on...
    The roof will eventually be covered in 'wiggly tin', aka Wills 4mm scale corrugated asbestos sheet. The fact that the scale 38' length of the roof is exactly that of two Wills sheets is no co-incidence!
    Whither atrophy?

That modelling is so realistic I'm nearly convinced I had a pint in Forbes Bar. !! .brilliant work.