Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Shell & BP

Great job, Popeye! and thanks for even including the donors! What period are these modeled from? The Irish Shells earlier in the thread looked black (in a B&W photo, granted) like your Esso. Is your black Esso from that steam period and the silvers are a later livery albeit the same earlier period tanker with the steel tie-down cables over the top?
    Are they transfers your own creation or available to purchase?
    Thanks for posting. Kevin
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

Blog Entries
    Very tasty job on the tank wagons Patrick. The Bachmann model really lifted the standard for rtr tank wagons and a good candidate for limited run production for Irish Shell, Mc Mullen Brothers, Mex.

The silver tank barrel with horizontal red stripe or red solebars was an early form of hazmat marking applied to distinguish Type A tank wagons used carry petrol and other highly flammable liquids from the usually black Type B tank wagons used to carry heavy fuel oil and other flammable liquids.

The position of the red strip tended to vary between the centre of the barrel and solebars, silver gave way to light grey in the 60s. The type A & B tank wagons had different discharge arrangements petrol was basically siphoned out of a Type A tank wagon with U tube arrangement on top of the barrel, heavy fuel oil though a valve under a Type B tank wagon.

The Type A tank wagons tended to look cleaner than the Type B without the usual build up of grunge around the tank filler usually seen on wagons used to transport heavy fuel oil and bitumen
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

A couple of pictures I found in my collection.

My notes tell me this is Class A tank 2617 taken at Belfast.

Name:  Irish Shell & BP Class A Tank 2617 in 1966.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  193.8 KB

My notes tell me this is Shell-Mex and BP Class B tank 271 taken at Adelaide.

Name:  Shell Mex & BP Class B Tank 271 in 1965.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  197.8 KB

Lovely, lovely job, great weathering and grime and gung. Well done

Me sees a new product line.......

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    They'd almost need to be made pre-weathered, as a clean was was an impossibility!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhu Varren View Post
    A couple of pictures I found in my collection.

My notes tell me this is Class A tank 2617 taken at Belfast.

Name:  Irish Shell & BP Class A Tank 2617 in 1966.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  193.8 KB

My notes tell me this is Shell-Mex and BP Class B tank 271 taken at Adelaide.

Name:  Shell Mex & BP Class B Tank 271 in 1965.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  197.8 KB
    great set of pics!

Blog Entries
    New Irish Lines Vol 2. No 6 2001 http://newirishlines.org/archive-2/ includes an article by Chris Aspinwall & Alan O'Rourke on Irish private owner tank wagons the article includes photos and details of both Dublin & Belfast registered tank wagons but breaks off before the introduction of more modern wagons by Caltex and ESSO in the 1960s.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Weshty View Post
    Lovely, lovely job, great weathering and grime and gung. Well done

Me sees a new product line.......
    RTR, pre-weathered?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayner View Post
    New Irish Lines Vol 2. No 6 2001 http://newirishlines.org/archive-2/ includes an article by Chris Aspinwall & Alan O'Rourke on Irish private owner tank wagons the article includes photos and details of both Dublin & Belfast registered tank wagons but breaks off before the introduction of more modern wagons by Caltex and ESSO in the 1960s.
    Thanks, John