Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 101

Thread: Irish Shell & BP

  1. #21
    Senior Member DiveController's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    2,269
    Great job, Popeye! and thanks for even including the donors! What period are these modeled from? The Irish Shells earlier in the thread looked black (in a B&W photo, granted) like your Esso. Is your black Esso from that steam period and the silvers are a later livery albeit the same earlier period tanker with the steel tie-down cables over the top?
    Are they transfers your own creation or available to purchase?
    Thanks for posting. Kevin
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

  2. #22

  3. #23
    Senior Member Mayner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    24
    Very tasty job on the tank wagons Patrick. The Bachmann model really lifted the standard for rtr tank wagons and a good candidate for limited run production for Irish Shell, Mc Mullen Brothers, Mex.

    The silver tank barrel with horizontal red stripe or red solebars was an early form of hazmat marking applied to distinguish Type A tank wagons used carry petrol and other highly flammable liquids from the usually black Type B tank wagons used to carry heavy fuel oil and other flammable liquids.

    The position of the red strip tended to vary between the centre of the barrel and solebars, silver gave way to light grey in the 60s. The type A & B tank wagons had different discharge arrangements petrol was basically siphoned out of a Type A tank wagon with U tube arrangement on top of the barrel, heavy fuel oil though a valve under a Type B tank wagon.

    The Type A tank wagons tended to look cleaner than the Type B without the usual build up of grunge around the tank filler usually seen on wagons used to transport heavy fuel oil and bitumen
    John


    If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

  4. #24
    A couple of pictures I found in my collection.

    My notes tell me this is Class A tank 2617 taken at Belfast.

    Name:  Irish Shell & BP Class A Tank 2617 in 1966.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  193.8 KB

    My notes tell me this is Shell-Mex and BP Class B tank 271 taken at Adelaide.

    Name:  Shell Mex & BP Class B Tank 271 in 1965.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  197.8 KB

  5. #25
    Lovely, lovely job, great weathering and grime and gung. Well done

    Me sees a new product line.......

  6. #26
    Senior Member jhb171achill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Posts
    5,608
    They'd almost need to be made pre-weathered, as a clean was was an impossibility!

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhu Varren View Post
    A couple of pictures I found in my collection.

    My notes tell me this is Class A tank 2617 taken at Belfast.

    Name:  Irish Shell & BP Class A Tank 2617 in 1966.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  193.8 KB

    My notes tell me this is Shell-Mex and BP Class B tank 271 taken at Adelaide.

    Name:  Shell Mex & BP Class B Tank 271 in 1965.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  197.8 KB
    great set of pics!

  8. #28
    Senior Member Mayner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    24
    New Irish Lines Vol 2. No 6 2001 http://newirishlines.org/archive-2/ includes an article by Chris Aspinwall & Alan O'Rourke on Irish private owner tank wagons the article includes photos and details of both Dublin & Belfast registered tank wagons but breaks off before the introduction of more modern wagons by Caltex and ESSO in the 1960s.
    John


    If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

  9. #29
    Senior Member DiveController's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Weshty View Post
    Lovely, lovely job, great weathering and grime and gung. Well done

    Me sees a new product line.......
    RTR, pre-weathered?
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

  10. #30
    Senior Member DiveController's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayner View Post
    New Irish Lines Vol 2. No 6 2001 http://newirishlines.org/archive-2/ includes an article by Chris Aspinwall & Alan O'Rourke on Irish private owner tank wagons the article includes photos and details of both Dublin & Belfast registered tank wagons but breaks off before the introduction of more modern wagons by Caltex and ESSO in the 1960s.
    Thanks, John
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Welcome to Irish Railway Modeller. The home of Railway Modelling and collecting in Ireland. We are a friendly, open community where you will find lots of support, advice and encouragement, as well as inspiration! Join us today!
Join us