Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Shell & BP

Blog Entries
    A few photos (not the best quality )of the older type of tank wagons around the Point Yard and Tuam.

Name:  Irish Shell & BP.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  134.1 KB

Irish Shell & BP Wagon East Wall Yard Mid 1990s. Charles Roberts wagon dating from late 1920s.
    Silver/light grey body red solebars Type A tank wagon.

Name:  ESSO & MEX.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  161.0 KB

ESSO & MEX 202 Point Yard Mid 1980s.

The MEX tanker is for Class A highly flammable traffic Petrol and has two compartments.
    Silver tank with horizontal orange stripe along centre of barrel.

The ESSO tank wagon appears to be a fairly modern bitumen tanker the give away is the insulated body with coned ends.

Name:  MEX.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  161.0 KB

MEX tank wagon Tuam sister to 212 but more modern wagon possibly dating from the 1930s no tie down cables around the dome.

Name:  Caltex.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  162.3 KB

The Joker in the pack TEXACO/CALTEX modern 1960s wagon with anchor mounted tank Light grey tank with red solebars and TEXACO lettering. A modelling challenge with the older CALTEX lettering and horizontal orange stripe grinning through.

The TEXACO wagons were commandeered by CIE in the late 70s & 80s and were used on the Alexandra Road Inchacore fuel oil trains.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Thanks for posting those, pics of tank wagons in anything but plain black don't seem to crop up all that much.

When you say 'commandeered', does that mean the wagons were property of the oil companies?

John, thanks a mil for posting the photos and info. Yet another peculiar prototype....R.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    I think they were property of oil companies at one stage anyway.

Blog Entries
    The tank wagons used by the oil companies were nearly all private owner and separate from railway company stock. The man exception appears to have been the 6 tank wagons built for Burmah in the early 70s.

The Donegal & Swilly each had tank wagons with the railway company owning the underframe & the oil company the barrel.
    John

Does the Hornby model come anyway close to the Burmah Tanker?

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    I had one of those at one time. I don't know how accurate it is in comparison with the original, but it looked fine repainted as it would be here.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Kirley;44632]Does the Hornby model come anyway close to the Burmah Tanker?

Colour scheme is pretty much spot on for the two petrol tank wagons, the wagons were a lot more modern similar to the Airfix tank wagon

http://www.studio-scale-models.com/img/F28.jpg
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mayner View Post
    The tank wagons used by the oil companies were nearly all private owner and separate from railway company stock. The man exception appears to have been the 6 tank wagons built for Burmah in the early 70s.
    Would anybody have any photos of these 70's Burmah wagons?
    Or photos of models that were repainted of the Irish Shells?
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

Here are a few pic's of oil wagons. ESSO are mine repainted from Bachmann Fina tanks. Irish Shell is by Andrew Shillito, 3mm Society.

Name:  017.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  ESSO 1.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  Fina Oil..jpg
Views: 720
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  Irish Shell Tank Wagon..jpg
Views: 801
Size:  134.3 KB