Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish railway memorabilia

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    Heirflick - i think I saw the Pope in me local the other night.... someone was buying me shots.... is there a connection?
    nah...it was a mirage brought on by your terrible thirst!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    And who is this "Curran" whose poster is displayed by the "Irish Narrow Gate Trust"?

What, in railway terminology, is a "narrow gate"? Something designed to prevent a train going somewhere?
    According to a piece on the National Museum's website "Probably Belfast based William Curran who won a Bord Fáilte anti-litter poster competition in 1967"

As for a 'narrow gate', maybe a 'wicket gate'!

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Those posters LOOK genuine enough in terms of both artwork, artistic style and subject matter, but I have doubts about the print font used for "IRELAND".

Spotted this 'rarity' in a recent Munster Antiques sale - being sold as a Cork & Bandon sign.

Name:  Cork & Bandon Railway.PNG
Views: 519
Size:  485.3 KB

Was it being sold as the 'real deal' or as a replica...of sorts?

Seriously though, who the hell is making this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by minister_for_hardship View Post
    Was it being sold as the 'real deal' or as a replica...of sorts?

Seriously though, who the hell is making this stuff?
    Lot 739: Railway sign start bid €20 - Cast iron railway sign "Cork and Bandon" Estimate: 40-60

The auctioneers blurb (above) leaves it up to the buyer!

He probably knows full well it's only a tenner scrap value.

The description should include 'replica' or 'reproduction'...but business is business (I know it is neither replica nor repro, just a work of fiction)

Could always try selling it nearer London - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_and_Brixton_Railway ...
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

Plate from an Oil Tanker, I think it made €200 recently

Plate says "This wagon must be quite full or empty while travelling on the Irish Railways"

I know it's a long shot, but seeing a thread about railway memorabilia, I just thought I'd ask... Does anyone know where I might come on a Metropolitan Vickers builders plate, that was fitted to the outside of the A class locos, with the words: Metropolitan Vickers 1955: on it? I know they are still in existence, but I assume they don't come up for sale very often.