Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish railway memorabilia

A Macroom ticket is a rare item, more so if it's been dated and used.

Quote Originally Posted by minister_for_hardship View Post
    A Macroom ticket is a rare item, more so if it's been dated and used.
    Its from 1931, it was given to me about 10 years ago. It has been used small bit cut of the side. I ll have a look for it later and i ll post up a pic of it

The GSR only ran passenger services up until 1935, so for a period of only 10 years that they issued tickets like that.
    Might have had the odd excursion before it closed completely but that was pretty much it. Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by heirflick View Post
    hi lads - it never ceases to amaze me , that no matter where you go on this planit of ours , irish railway hstory always hits you in the face! just came back with my family from 'the algarve'. first night was spent (as you do) looking for an irish pub.....landed 10 minutes from our apartments in a place called Potomio and found this little gem of a pub called 'Irelands Eye' worst thing we ever did - never left the fecking place for the week!!! the thing that hit me was the history on the wall ... then cane the coup de grace - an arrival / departure notice board from limerick station from the steam era!..you couldn't shift me after this!........
    Oh dear, what a mess and to think that somebody obviously spent money on getting this made. Where is 'Lough Hee' between Claremorris and Galway - or is that how the translator in India/China or wherever spells Loughrea? And, where on earth is the New Castle listed on the board under Kilkee?

Here's another of Curran's idealised visions of CIE's trains which appears on a recent postcard.

Name:  Curran 1.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  54.3 KB

Seeing as Curran's work has been mentioned a few times on this thread, here's something I picked up some time ago...

It's a Radio Train brochure produced around 1957/1958 and aimed at American tourists planning a trip to Ireland.

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Virtually everything you see like this in pubs is fake. To check out real railway artefacts, a visit to Headhunters in Enniskillen, or Cultra, or the small exhibitis in Downpatrick, or Hell's Kitchen in Castlerea are the places where the real deal can be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    Virtually everything you see like this in pubs is fake. .
    lesson well learnt! but try and remember that by the time we arrived at this pub every night it was after several buckets of the local brew - all followed by free shots of some discusting horse p*ss (it seemed the thing to do at the time!), so i wouldnt have recognised the Pope if he was in front of meName:  sleepy-smiley.gif
Views: 338
Size:  6.1 KB

i must admit that it did give a nice atmosphere to the place.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    And who is this "Curran" whose poster is displayed by the "Irish Narrow Gate Trust"?

What, in railway terminology, is a "narrow gate"? Something designed to prevent a train going somewhere?

Heirflick - i think I saw the Pope in me local the other night.... someone was buying me shots.... is there a connection?