Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CIE locomotive livery variations 1960-1990

[QUOTE=Weshty;25582]Cut, paste, collate, edit, index, size 9 times roman. PDF
    No bother. That's what desk top publishing is all about.

ah westy darling, you forget that some of us (me really!) are cabbages when it comes to that sort of thingName:  embarrassed-smiley-face.gif
Views: 677
Size:  15.8 KB

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    I have updated and included further detail in my original posts on this subject.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Eiretrains wrote:

For some reason, some of the re-engined A Classes in their black & tan livery, still had the high-tan sides unlike most which were altered to the low-tan, the preserved A39r, and A51r being such examples, there may have been others.

Indeed. However, an additional detail is that in later days all, or almost all, had "low-tan" sides.

Just a thought.... By the time the history is written on 2600 / 2700 / 2800 / 22000 / 29000 classes of railcars, think of the many variations that have taken place already!

I'll be doing crosswords in a nursing home....

My heart and soul is in County Clare, but my body is elsewhere :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    Just a thought....
    I'll be doing crosswords in a nursing home....
    Cryptic ones.
    "F*** your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside"

...and I'll be spilling custard on them, Horsetan, dreaming of dinner on the Cork line in a 1956-built 24XX series dining car way back in the seventies.....

My heart and soul is in County Clare, but my body is elsewhere :-(
    "Nurse! Nurse....!"
    "F*** your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside"

Attached are some pictures of a model "O" gauge locomotive made by my grandfather when in Inchicore, as a toy for my father. The interest for modellers here, and indeed preservationists who will ever have anything to do with 90, 184, 186 and 461, is that it is painted with actual GSWR (or GSR / CIE) standard loco grey. You can see where the original description comes from of having "a bluish tinge" when clean. You can also see that in certain lighting conditions it looks much more like black, which has frequently given rise to assumptions that the locos actually were black.

In order to illustrate that point, I have photographed it from a number of angles, both in daylight and artificial light.

If anyone's interested in seeing the thing, ping me privately.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  58.4 KB

Views: 256
Size:  51.7 KB

Views: 248
Size:  62.2 KB

Views: 259
Size:  74.8 KB

Some engines had the cab interior painted this colour, but the majority had plain grey there too.
Views: 244
Size:  60.6 KB

Views: 251
Size:  93.8 KB

Views: 241
Size:  76.4 KB

That's model is beautiful.