Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator coaches for MkIIa and MkIII coaches.

Generator coaches for MkIIa and MkIII coaches.

As I understand it, the non-aircon MkIIa coaches as modelled by Bachmann for Murphy Models need a different generating coach than the MkIID aircon coaches as commissioned and modelled by Murphy Models directly. What type did the Mk11a type require?

The MkIII coaches, could they run with any other type of generating coaches apart from a MkIII?

Thanks for any assistance,

-Rob

http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/ir-ie-g...eam-van-dutch/
    These are the type or generator van that used to run with the mk2a coaches. These is also a kit DC kits make that is the modified version of the Dutch generator van which also ran with the mk2as.
    Don't think the mk3 EGVs ever ran with other types of coaches. But I could be wrong.
    Videos of trains both passenger and freight in the county of Kilkenny. http://www.youtube.com/user/redppsh96

The MkIIA coaches ran with rebuilt Dundalk vans. A kit/RTR version is available from Silverfox:
    http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/ir-ie-e...ing-van-dutch/

The MkIIIs only ever ran with MkIII generator vans.

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

The Dundalk vans being the vans built under license from the Dutch?

-Rob

Sorry, Rob... yes, you're correct. The Werkspoor/Dundalk vans.

Here's a photo of the model of the rebuilt version as used with the MkIIAs: http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/img..._7_700_466.jpg

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Rob the first release of the (converted for use with MK11A,B,C,) Dutch Vans from DC Kits had a MK1 type gangway fitted to the models. The prototypes were fitted with MK111 gangways. Pats link to the (correct for MK11A,B,C,'s) DC Kits model is of one of the first releases. I don't know if they corrected this on further batches. To add to what the lads have said MK111's only ever ran in service with MK111 EGV's, unless there were some loose coupled movements inside Inchicore.

The Dutch Vans converted were
    4601 formerly 3162
    4602 formerly 3163
    4603 formerly 3166

HTH

Rich,

Quote Originally Posted by gm171 kk View Post
    http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/ir-ie-g...eam-van-dutch/
    These are the type or generator van that used to run with the mk2a coaches. These is also a kit DC kits make that is the modified version of the Dutch generator van which also ran with the mk2as.
    Don't think the mk3 EGVs ever ran with other types of coaches. But I could be wrong.
    The model in this link is of the unconverted Dutch Steam Heating Van/Generating Steam Van, which operated with Cravens, Park Royals, Laminates etc. This version doesn't have the built-up ends and the MkII/MkIII gangways. They were numbered 3157 - 3166

The model in the #5 post by Garfield http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/img..._7_700_466.jpg shows the rebuilt version for use with the MkII air braked stock. The numbers of these vans after conversion were as listed in Rich's post.

Sincerest thanks for that chaps!

To expand this slightly and to try and confirm what little knowledge I have...

Cravens - Vac braked and steam heated, needs Mk1 Steam van or original Dutch van.

MkIID Aircon - Vac braked and Electric Train Heating, needs MkIId gen van.

MkIIAB - Air braked and ETH(?) needs rebuilt Dutch gen van.

MkIII - Air braked and ETH, needs MkIII gen van.

That's as far as my interests lie, but I do note that MkIII gen vans are making a comeback on the Enterprise sets to relieve the accelerated wear on the 201s due to HEP requirements.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Davies View Post
    Sincerest thanks for that chaps!

To expand this slightly and to try and confirm what little knowledge I have...

Cravens - Vac braked and steam heated, needs Mk1 Steam van or original Dutch van.

MkIID Aircon - Vac braked and Electric Train Heating, needs MkIId gen van.

MkIIAB - Air braked and ETH(?) needs rebuilt Dutch gen van.

MkIII - Air braked and ETH, needs MkIII gen van.

That's as far as my interests lie, but I do note that MkIII gen vans are making a comeback on the Enterprise sets to relieve the accelerated wear on the 201s due to HEP requirements.

-Rob
    Spot on Rob. The DC Kits refurbished van is a nice model. The bogies are a good representation. I think scratch built underframe tanks would enhance it even more. If DC Kits haven't already corrected the gangway it would make for a nice project to correct it yourself.

Rich,

Again, thanks for the advice Rich, I took a look over at the last yuku site at Eamonn's build of the Dutch van. That build shows to me what is capable with the kit. Looking at protoype pics I think you (Rich) have identified what was bothering me slightly about the kit - the underframe tanks/details are somewhat underdone in the kit, and would benefit the final build significantly if they where upgraded with a little bit of fabrication work. I'll have to place an order with Charlie in the new year - the revised Dutch Van kit looks like a nice project to develop some more skills on

A final question! For now(!)

When the Dutch vans where upgraded for the MKIIab stock, where they painted to match ie the VW Brilliant Orange colour? or did they remain the duller Cravens-esque colour?

-Rob