Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fry Model Railway

hidden-agenda
    Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    I wonder (from an admittedly mischievous point of view) what their reaction would be if I told them that DCDR would take it off their hands!
    You could possibly find they would jump at the chance to part with it and you could have a very large lay-out to play with at DCDR for rainy days.

JB, Whereabouts would the DCDR put it? It takes up a few thousand square feet before even considering the room needed for visitors to walk around it...
    Last edited by Garfield; 29-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    In theory it could go into the new carriage gallery, but in reality the only thing the DCDR would be in a position to take, or would possibly want, would be any BCDR models in it - and only then if the collection was going to be broken up (which would be a terrible shame).

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    I wonder would a more radical approach be to make a new, smaller layout (possibly also with better scenery) and rotate use of the trains. Thus, a visitor could end up seeing Enterprises of 1947 and 1970, with a Donegal train chasing a T & D one on the narrow gauge bit on one visit, and on another visit a DART, a MGWR goods train, a Causeway tram and a pair of 121s with a Craven set!

hidden-agenda
    I wonder would a more radical approach be to make a new, smaller layout (possibly also with better scenery) and rotate use of the trains. Thus, a visitor could end up seeing Enterprises of 1947 and 1970, with a Donegal train chasing a T & D one on the narrow gauge bit on one visit, and on another visit a DART, a MGWR goods train, a Causeway tram and a pair of 121s with a Craven set!
    Any thing would be better than the lights on and off mutter mutter set up that was used at Malahide, it was a shambles on busy days plus no pics and an attitude problem from some staff when some visitors complained they could,nt see as it was a sheep herding exercise with the playing with lights so my moan over.
    Any decent set-up run by a sensible person(s) would be better than nothing even if it is a smaller lay-out compared to the original.

Better still... go all out and do something like this:

All that's needed is a win in the EuroMillions...

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Couldn't agree more, hidden agenda. Personally I think the models would be seen to better advantage if they took it in turns to run on a smaller layout. I wonder if the actual ones originally made by Cyril Fry got a run in recent times? I remember seeing 071-hauled trains on it - they wouldn't have been made by Fry!

Old Photo's Fry Railway

Hi All
    Happy New Year to you
    I am attempting to load some photos from Fry Model Railway Malahide
    many years ago Hope this is Ok
    David WexfordName:  071   Fry Model Railway D heath.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  84.7 KBName:  Fry Model Railway  D Heath (2).jpg
Views: 920
Size:  90.5 KBName:  E 401   G 601 Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  87.7 KBName:  C 201  Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  92.1 KBName:  403  Loco  Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  86.0 KBName:  342 Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  90.1 KBName:  121 Loco Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  88.1 KBName:  121 Class  Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  98.0 KBName:  071 Class   Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  84.0 KBName:  Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  104.2 KB

Fry Model Railway Cont

Hope you enjoyed the first batch
    Remainder attached
    feel free to comment
    DavidName:  Pumping Unit  Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  92.6 KBName:  NIR  Class Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  85.3 KBName:  NCC  5  Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  105.7 KBName:  Midland Blue Train Fry Malahide  D Heath.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  91.4 KBName:  Loco no 5  Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Size:  89.7 KBName:  Irish Mail 2 -6 -0  Fry Model Railway D Heath.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  70.4 KBName:  Howth Tram  Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Size:  89.6 KBName:  Goods Depot  Fry Model Railway  D Heath.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  65.8 KB

Wow, great photos. Thanks for sharing

Custom made baseboards, helix, storage units and display cabinets. Complete layout service available.