Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: GSR & CIE locomotive list for grey, green or black livery

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    461's green is copied from a model, not the real thing. This rarely, if ever, gives an accurate result.

The 400s were all either grey or green, and none were black.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    I was asked recently for info on GSWR / GSR / CIE standard locomotive grey, in terms of how dark it was.

I think I posted a picture many moons ago, and doubtless upside down, of a model my grandfather made while he was in Inchicore, and using actual paint. However, I can't find the picture anywhere - maybe someone else knows where it is. If it can't be found, I'll take another.

Basically, it should not be "nearly black" - it should be just a shade darker than wagons. That's about all I can say without an example. In GSR times, the numberplate was all over grey too, usually (but not always) with the number and rim of plate picked out in pale yellow) - not a black background plate. In CIE times, same, or once the plate was removed an unlined pale yellow number and gold-lined "eau-de-nil" (Pale green, not yellow!) flying snail. Hope that answers it.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    I was asked recently for info on GSWR / GSR / CIE standard locomotive grey, in terms of how dark it was.

I think I posted a picture many moons ago, and doubtless upside down, of a model my grandfather made while he was in Inchicore, and using actual paint. However, I can't find the picture anywhere - maybe someone else knows where it is. If it can't be found, I'll take another.

Basically, it should not be "nearly black" - it should be just a shade darker than wagons. That's about all I can say without an example. In GSR times, the numberplate was all over grey too, usually (but not always) with the number and rim of plate picked out in pale yellow) - not a black background plate. In CIE times, same, or once the plate was removed an unlined pale yellow number and gold-lined "eau-de-nil" (Pale green, not yellow!) flying snail. Hope that answers it.
    I think I have it somewhere JB,I will search my archives..
    Bigger is Better(But there are many exceptions!)

Harry

Ah yes, here they are

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Bigger is Better(But there are many exceptions!)

Harry

Great stuff! That was them. The very last one looks WAY darker; this is simply the light. The others, plus 186 at Whitehead, are correct.

What was the shade of green used on the A and C class diesel locos, and for the pale green lining? Equivalent RAL number if matches would also be useful. I've been trying to visually find a match on this chart https://www.everythingairbrush.com/m...lour_Chart.pdf Thanks in advance. Noel

Ps: this is the type of green livery I was asking about the shade or Ral no?

Don't know if there was a darker one or just this?

For a C, A, B101, G601 (NOT G611!), or carriages painted after 1955/6, yes.

The darker shade with more elaborate lining was before that and didn't apply to locos mentioned above.

One A, I think A46, got a coat of the darker shade as a one off for a short time in the early 60s, and the B113 pair and the D's had a older "steam-like" dark green livery when new.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    What was the shade of green used on the A and C class diesel locos, and for the pale green lining? Equivalent RAL number if matches would also be useful. I've been trying to visually find a match on this chart https://www.everythingairbrush.com/m...lour_Chart.pdf Thanks in advance. Noel

I'm afraid I don't know RAL number but the pic of the C above shows it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Ps: this is the type of green livery I was asking about the shade or Ral no?

Don't know if there was a darker one or just this?

I have used Humbrol no 2 Emerald Gloss Green and got good results for the CIE lighter Green on C231. For the pale green lining I used Humbrol no 90 Beige Green Matt and had Weshty make up some number transfers in this colour to match.
    Name:  20130516_090111.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  97.7 KBName:  20130426_001547.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  112.6 KB