Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GSR & CIE locomotive list for grey, green or black livery

Thanks jhb.

I'm afraid I lost track of this thread for a while, or I'd have said that sooner. I'm hoping to do something set about 1900 to 1910, maybe with GSWR in green and black liveries, ex-WLWR in maroon and who knows, perhaps the MGWR in green and prussian blue. (Claremorris, Collooney, Athenry perhaps - thoughts keep moving around - maybe a single transferrable station.) But that's just getting carried away. For a start, I'll probably just try to stock it with diesel transition vehicles, because there are kits available and the painting and lining should be easier.

Please keep the information coming. It's utterly priceless. Up to now, all I've been able to get is snippets in different books.

Thanks for the sticky, Garfield.

Alan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandbridgejct View Post
    Thanks jhb.

I'm afraid I lost track of this thread for a while, or I'd have said that sooner. I'm hoping to do something set about 1900 to 1910, maybe with GSWR in green and black liveries, ex-WLWR in maroon and who knows, perhaps the MGWR in green and prussian blue. (Claremorris, Collooney, Athenry perhaps - thoughts keep moving around - maybe a single transferrable station.) But that's just getting carried away. For a start, I'll probably just try to stock it with diesel transition vehicles, because there are kits available and the painting and lining should be easier.

Please keep the information coming. It's utterly priceless. Up to now, all I've been able to get is snippets in different books.

Thanks for the sticky, Garfield.

Alan
    For sheer variety it would be hard to beat Ballysodare-Sligo 1895-1910 WLWR crimson lake, GSWR black green, MGWR green, blue & cream, SLNCR green, black.

Originally I had been thinking in terms of a specific station or line, but I am thinking more and more of generic stations including elements from the North Kerry & Limerick-Sligo line.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Indeed, Mayner - can anyone top that for a list of liveries side by side!!!

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Mayner's post got me thinking. Kingsbridge, circa 1930 might well have almost every loco in grey, as few non-GSW ones had appeared there yet, and the GSW had been painting them grey since about 1915 - but carriages!!

- GSWR crimson lake
    - GSR crimson lake
    - GSR chocolate and cream
    - occasional visitors in form of MGWR both deep maroon (1918-21) or brown
    - possibly occasional visiting DSER lined maroon///

Wagons - GSWR v. dark grey (blackish) or GSR grey (like LMS grey)...

The again, the West Cork might have GSR crimson lake and/or brown and cream on visiting stock, or CBSCR green... locos grey or a Bandon tank in olive green!!

Ever so slightly OT but why did GS&WR express locos carry a pair of smokebox mounted lamp irons into early GSR days?

I've never seen a pic of them carrying lamps or a headboard of any description!

Also they carried TWO whistles, one regular and one 'bass' toned one for the emergency cord. When was the second dispensed with?

I will make enquiries, Minister. I am not sure myself.

Folks - on re-reading two of my posts above, one re. DCDR's No. 90 and early GSWR livery, and one regarding CIE "flying snails", I have re-worded the first which was far from clear (it made sense to me, but not to anyone sensible!). The other, regarding "snails", had an unforgiveable blooper in it - having described how CIE put "snails" on tenders, I went on to state that tender engines NEVER carried snails - of course, I meant that TANK engines never carried snails.....

I could actually clarify that - in 1959 one ex-T&D loco had a "snail" chalked on the buffer beam, and another inscribed in the dirt on the tank side by someone's finger... if that counts as a "snail" being carried on a tank loco, so be it!

Apologies for any confusion caused.

In the words of the Great Homer: Dohhhhhh....

In answering a query about the Cavan & Leitrim recently, something occurred to me in the form of some substance for a quiz question!

Question: "How many GSR locomotives were not grey?"

First likely answer: "Three. The 800 class".

Wrong. Think again.

"Oh yes! Four, including the 800s and the little shunter at Albert Quay which the company got from Allman's Distillery in Bandon to use as a Cork docks shunter, put a standard number plate on, but never repainted".

Wrong. Think again.

"Ah! Now I have it. The C & L's "King Edward", which through hardly ever being used, and scrapped early on, retained C & L lined green to the last"

Correct. Douze points.

(Or - were there other non-greys in GSR times?)

Pretty sure I saw a pic somewhere of one of the Inchicore cabs, a sister of 90, carrying lined green in GSR days. Maybe in one of the HC Casserley books?

I think one of the last MGWR locos to retain green (Luna?) bogged about in its old livery for a good while before finally getting repainted.

That's correct, Minister. With a stock of over 400 locomotives and the lack of money in those days, overnight repainting was never going to happen. What I had in mind the above, though, was locos that remained well into GSR days, or even into CIE, which never were repainted in grey at all.

90 and all its sisters received grey before withdrawal.

As one might expect, locos on the narrow gauge lines and the W & T took a while to all be repainted. Former GSWR ones had already been under the grey sheep-dip treatment since about 1918 by the time the GSR was formed. Jhb171-Senior has no recollection of seeing a former DSER or GSWR loco still in pre-grey liveries, despite bring very familiar with both the Harcourt Street line, and the innards of Inchicore Works, from the early 20s. He does, however, vaguely recall GSWR coaches still in their old livery. Apparently there was an old passenger van in tattered GSWR livery still pottering about in or around Kingsbridge well into the 30s. Probably others elsewhere too.
    Last edited by jhb171achill; 01-05-2014 at 10:58 AM.