Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Beet wagons, what colour were they?

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Correct on all counts! And add to that the mud off the beet itself. Wagons were really a nondescipt dirt shade. Talk about fifty shades of grey!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Davies View Post
    Thanks for digging those up for me Gerhard

An oddity strikes me - well many do really, but one relevant to these pictures - within each of the pictures, all the beet wagons are very similarly coloured, but between the photos there subtle but significant variations in the colourations. I suspect it is to do with how wet the wagon is, how damp the atmosphere is, and how recently it rained. What am I taking from all of this? Make all the beet wagons in your train similarly coloured.

-Rob
    Rob if you get a chance to see any footage of the wagons being loaded in Wellington Bridge it will explain a lot. I remember seeing rakes parked in Waterford East awaiting signals and being covered in dust from nearby building work many many years ago. They used to get covered in dust and debri from the work at Mount Misery and the new road while all the work was going on. Each one has a weathered look all of it's own. I think the best thing to do is keep the color uniform within the rake. They were parked out in the elements when The beet season was finished so they would have seen all sorts of weather. I remember having a close look at a rake in Waterford West and they were parked next to the cement loading facility. Some checking revealed light cement dust on the wagons.

Rich,

Bit off a tardy response given the thread was opened 3 years ago but below is a photo of the prototype (i.e. the first) double-height beet wagon taken in Thurles exchange sidings on 5/3/85. As you can see, red oxide was the order of the day.

Mark
    Attachment 19166
    Last edited by ei6jf; 02-06-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ei6jf View Post
    Bit off a tardy response given the thread was opened 3 years ago but below is a photo of the prototype (i.e. the first) double-height beet wagon taken in Thurles exchange sidings on 5/3/85. As you can see, red oxide was the order of the day.

Mark
    Attachment 19166
    Picture doesn't work for me..
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

Quote Originally Posted by Broithe View Post
    Picture doesn't work for me..
    Problem with attachment I think. Would like to see it if possible please
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

Second attempt
    Marvellous picture - well worth the (your) effort.
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Davies View Post
    Attachment 4372

A representation... On a shortened Dapol 12ft chassis.

Base Colour for the chassis, bauxite.

After scrubbing and cleaning up the Shapeways body, I coated it with 'Mr Surfacer 1200' http://www.spruemart.co.uk/index.php...id=44&Itemid=1 then gave a thin, almost a wash coat of Revell enamel No.87, and drybrushed the top half with Precision Paints 'sleeper grime'. Just before it was all dry I treated the upper half again with Tamiya weathering powders 'rust', and the lower half with Tamiya powders 'sand'.

I'll probably put some of Weshty's number and maintenance patches on it when it's cured out properly.

-Rob

That's absolutely spot on!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Second attempt:

Name:  Prototype double beet wagon 15 Mar 1985.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  127.9 KB
    What a great photo,never seen this when it was originally posted.Very strange to see one so clean!

I think it's the ONLY time I saw one so clean! It obviously is newly done. In traffic, like the UTA's spoil wagons, aft a single run they were filthy - permanently!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.