Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SSM brakevan

SSM brakevan

Hi all,

as I promised to try to post pictures, I now show you the result of my sundays work.

Name:  PB250092 - Kopie.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  90.0 KB

These are my first steps to assemble an SSM etched brass kit I bought at Raheny. I had no experience in soldering such Kits so I thougt this rather square object would be a great opportunity to improve my skills. I surely will not solder all parts, but until now soldering worked quite well after the I could manage not to burn my fingers . I will update this thread when there will be visible progress on the project.

Cheers,

Gerhard.

BTW: The platform etch is not yet fixed but only loosely put in.

That looks good so far..!
    My best work has been spread over many fields..

Gerhard,

Good work, and given it's boxy design with loads of tabs, a sound choice to start soldering with.

hidden-agenda
    Very tidy work.

Neat. Looking forward to more pics.

Lovely work.

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

fair play to you gerhard for giving it a lash! i couldnt solder anything if my life depended on it!

Great job, I've being meaning to start this little project myself as I also have no soldering experience, this might give me the encouragement to give a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by scahalane View Post
    Great job, I've being meaning to start this little project myself as I also have no soldering experience, this might give me the encouragement to give a blast.
    `

Sound man. As I've stated on these pages before, if you decide to give it a shot, do NOT proceed without the following

1. bog standard soldering iron 25-35 watts

2. Carrs 145 solder and Carrs Green Flux (Chronos or DCC concepts)
    The 145 solder melts at a lower temp and much faster (added bonus: you can hold one end of a piece without burning your fingers)
    The flux reduces surface tension and helps the solder to flow very easily into a joint

3. Fine sandpaper or better still a fibre brush
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fibre-glas...item5d3676cbb3
    You need this to remove the brass oxide layer. Solder and flux will work much better with the oxide removed. The brush removes it without leaving scratch marks or removing detail on the bras sheet

Thanks for the advise Des.