Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SSM brakevan

ATTACH=CONFIG]15005[/ATTACH]

beautiful richie! dont know how that sulzer got there!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by heirflick; 10-09-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Cheers lads - heres the photo I was talking about. You can barely make out the stencil of the flying snail on the upper left, and "20 TON BRAKE" to the right.

Name:  23559 - Kildare.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  grey.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  118.8 KB

Sorry Mike - only one I could find that shows an approximation of what's beneath.

Name:  Inchicore 2012 318.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  92.1 KB

and

https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216c...57626551527834

Name:  30 ton.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  67.4 KB
    Last edited by Glenderg; 10-09-2014 at 07:11 PM.

I never knew they had oil axleboxes originally. Every day is a learning day. Love the photo of Tipperary with the oil tank off the road.

Fabulous models. Please spare my ignorance but what was the protruding box on the sides used for? Is it a vent, stove chimney, window, or other, and if windows for what purpose?
    Last edited by Noel; 11-09-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Fabulous models. Please spare my ignorance but what was the protruding box on the sides used for? Is it a vent, stove chimney, window, or other?
    It's called a ducket, with little windows the guard can look out of to keep tabs on what's going on outside.

I travelled on them in the late 70s behind Beet trains , they were rough inside

Just looking at the last pic of the three (new?) brake vans lined up, with the flying snail logo, I notice that the chimney was much higher back then......

Quote Originally Posted by aclass007 View Post
    Just looking at the last pic of the three (new?) brake vans lined up, with the flying snail logo, I notice that the chimney was much higher back then......
    Looks like they originally had a little cap to stop rain going down the flue, probably they rusted and broke off or bashed off trees or other overhanging things leaving a stubbier chimney.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Richie, you have answered all my questions! and another I have just thought about. If the van has a full length foot board is it supported in the middle? answer is yes! I did not feel supports at the ends was a very elegant engineering solution! And your model has shell type vents on the roof.
    Thanks again Mike